Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trailer help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer help

I bought an old 14' Lowe john boat last fall, and the trailer that came with it is not the trailer for the boat. It works, not well, but it works. I'm interested...actually it's a necessity, in overhauling this thing this winter. What I don't know is how to proceed or in what direction.

The old trailer has a couple of rollers, only one contacts the boat, and two carpeted 2x4's set on edge. They're too far apart and barely catch the boat.

Could some of you give me some input on what set-up works best for flatbottoms? I was thinking 2 2x4's, positioned flat, no rollers unless it might be one on the very front of the boat. Maybe a couple of side boards to help in windy weather.

Photos would be great.

Thanks for any help...... Grandad

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Show us your trailer so we can see what you're working with.

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy Grand Dad.
    I think you are on the right track by eliminating the rollers and using 2x4's. I can't imagine why you would need rollers.
    BTW
    I like your handel. That is what all of the grand kids called my grand father while he was around.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Get home from work I'll try to get a chance to take some photos and get them posted. Until then, all inputs welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Just replace bottom boards and cover them in outdoor carpet. Move them in a little bit if need be. Don't really need side boards if you put some eyebolts on the trailer to strap the rear too. Just don't put trailer in the water as far on windy days, so it won;t push off the side. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Remove the rollers. Put two 2 x 4 bunks in, flat, that go all the way forward to where the boat starts to slope up. I put 10 footers on my 1542 flatbottom, and am wishing I went to 12s. The full length is key. You can either take my word for it, or try it yourself, but it is the best way I have come up with yet. Easiest loading trailer I have ever encountered.