Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Fishing Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green Fishing Light

My new light I made really worked great under water. I set up on a 12ft brushpile that we usually do very good on. We caught 8 fish all night. I had the light just under the surface and it brought in alot of ghost minnows. Was I fishing too shallow with this light or were the fish just not biting? Any ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody have any input on this? Surely we have some night fisherman out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the fish wasnt there in #'s like you are used to seeing.
    8 fish all nite isnt what I would call a good nite.The fish may have moved on you after you was fishing the brush for awhile.
    From what most says on here,they usually have there light anywhere from floating on the surface to submerged up to 16-18" below surface.

I would suggest you just give it 3-4 more trys & experiment with different depths & see what works best for you.Not everyones depth will be your best depth.Just my .02 worth

Good luck to you either way.

Post Thanks / Like

I always have my light just under the surface. Sometimes I catch fish in the light, but alot of times they are deeper, just under the outer edge of the shadows. Caught tons of fish this summer fishing around 9' straight under the light.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Night stalker--

My light is a head light inbedded in foam so it floats and is brighter than **** in the water. This light draws fish from quit a distance.

Easy to make also.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-23-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can catch fish over that brushpile during the day, it could be where they run and hide to avoid direct sunlight and are used to holding to the cover during the day. At night, those same fish will venture towards bait fish in the area, or move up more shallow working the banks for food. I can't count the amount of times I've worked shallow areas in the morning and catch good fish, only to see them move out as the sun gets higher. Just a thought.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I never fish on a brushpiles at night with a light. IMO crappie move more at night. this time of year they should be chasing shad. Anyway, IMO that is why you catch several at once then wait for the next group of travelers to come by to eat..

use that light in 20'+ water over a travel route like a long point in a bend or a hump or where 2 channels meet..

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty View Post
    I never fish on a brushpiles at night with a light. IMO crappie move more at night. this time of year they should be chasing shad. Anyway, IMO that is why you catch several at once then wait for the next group of travelers to come by to eat..

use that light in 20'+ water over a travel route like a long point in a bend or a hump or where 2 channels meet..
    Great advice!!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I will usually stay away from structure 15-20ft. and place a green light at the frontside and another at the backside of the boat facing structure.I will also use buoy markers with reflective tape at the structure location.I will cast and retreive to structure and back to green lights or use a bobber and cast to structure and reel back to green lights very slowly.These are the GREEN LIGHTS that I use:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. That sounds like a plan. I made a 2ft. one with 12v ballast and clear pvc, it really lights the water up well. I thought I might be too shallow or that I should not put the light over the brush. I will be out this weekend and try again. Very nice here in central TX. now at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast