Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Portable FF on ice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable FF on ice?

Just wondering if anyone has tryed useing a portable fish finder "LCD" on the hard water. Would there be problems with the display?

Post Thanks / Like

Have tried my Hummingbird on the ice, with no problem, and it showed me fish, if they was a foot or so off the bottom, but if the fish was in that last foot of water, it would not show them.

If you are serious about ice fishing, get you a Vexalar flasher , i got the FL-8 Genz Box, and you will be amased at what you can see. IT WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER FISHEMAN.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thanks for the reply. Humminbird sells a ice transducer for my unit. Where i live there hasnt been safe ice for a couple of seasons. Every couple of years we get a big blow and the ice fishing is great. If i could get on safe ice every year i would go with a dedicated unit.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the ducer and use your unit. You wont regret it. Any finder is better than none at all.

Post Thanks / Like

HEY, EZrider, i live in Ohio and the last couple of years, we get good ice for awhile, lose it, get it back, this might happen a couple or 3 times a year. But you can still use that Vex out of a boat to, i do .

Post Thanks / Like

Right on mike. Thing is that i have a 565 portable, they sell a ice ducer for it i figured i would give it a shot. The last 3 years we had to go way up state to find hard ice. Cost of gas puts a hutting on that. I really do like the little 565. I can see my jig fall and watch the fish hit it. My last Humminbird i had about 14 years ago. It looked like old school pac man pixels.