Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 4 stroke oil alternative

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 stroke oil alternative

I get tired of paying $5-$9 per qt for oil for my Yamaha F150. Sometimes I have to go to multiple stores to get enough for one oil change. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to risk damaging my outboard, but I would like to know if there is a safe alternative such as automotive oil.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used Penzoil 10W-30 Ever since my Yamaha F90 was new.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default good question

I run Mobil One in my truck. I change oil last weekend. First change in a year. Only had about 4100 miles on the change. Supposed to be good for 6000 miles.

If I put Mobil one in my new Yamaha 4 stroke, I wouldn't haveta change oil only about every 3-5 years no more than I run the big engine.

I don't know nuthin' about this sheeeet.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Amsoil 4 stroke marine motor oil.

Post Thanks / Like

A Honda mechanic told me, regarding my Yamaha 115, (and he wasn't trying to sell me anything, we were just talking about the 4 strokes in general) that the marine 4 stroke oils had different additives just for marine use and that automotive oils weren't good for marine use in the long term. This had to do with, according to him, several things. Among them, outboards have horizontal cylinders and run at much higher RPM's. They also have a tendency to have excess fuel get into the oil and marine oils counter this dilution better. If you notice, marine 4 stroke oils have that TC-W designation. Not saying I know anything, that is just what I was told.

I am running Mercury oil that I can get in a gallon jugs. It is expensive, but not outrageous. What is outrageous, though, is the cost of the Yamaha filters. Another mechanic told me to NOT use aftermarket filters, because they can actually change the operating oil pressures and, again, are not good long term. I am kind of anal when it comes to maintenance ...
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

Post Thanks / Like

what Jet4 says. Amsoil best of the best!!

Post Thanks / Like

Winger, everything you said makes good sense, and I am with you on the price of filters. I found a Sierra for cheap, but I don't want to take a chance. I know the mfgr's are not going to tell us to use anything less than their products. Where do you find Amsoil?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Amsoil marine oil, but for motorcycles and such, it is considered very good oil. It is not cheap, though. Not sure where to get the marine version. Maybe find it online.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger