Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Adding a pedal to my wireless trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding a pedal to my wireless trolling motor

I have one of those Minnkota "copilot" bow mount trolling motors that I control with a handheld remote control. It works fine unless I'm actively using a fishing rod, then it can be awkward to make a quick adjustment to speed or direction. It gets worse the closer I am to structure/brush/shallows and fishing tight to cover.

I've never owned or operated a foot controlled trolling motor, but they make a pedal for my unit. The cost ($70) is just enough to where I keep wondering if I should spend the dough on it. I guess my worry is it would be complicated or still equally a pain in the boat to keep making motor adjustments. But if bass guys can do it I am sure I can master it.

Just wondering if anybody has gotten used to the copiliot, then switched over to the pedal and what their experience was like. I can actually use both at the same time which sounds good to me.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you ordered it yet? Didn't the motor come with a foot control? If it like mine, you are welcome to try the foot pedal. It is in dry storage box because I never use it. Kinda junky. I hope yours is the newer model.

This is mine. L-stink-O

Post Thanks / Like

that is not the one they picture as for my trolling motor. It may work, not sure. I'm a waitin' on a response to my PM to you about that other thing...
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a newer model, Dayton's pedal won't work as they have been redesigned. Suppose to be better.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    If you have a newer model, Dayton's pedal won't work as they have been redesigned. Suppose to be better.
    Ha ha.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use the wrist mount with my co pilot and love it. Have always hated the foot pedal but use it sometimes when the transmitter on my wrist screws up.
    When I do use the foot pedal I hold it on my lap and use my hands to work it. It's a real pain in the butt to try and work with my foot.
    I'm wondering if anybody else has any problems with their transmitters other than the 3v battery getting low. We fish a trolling motor only lake most of the time now and really give it a work out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo Bob View Post
    I use the wrist mount with my co pilot and love it. Have always hated the foot pedal but use it sometimes when the transmitter on my wrist screws up.
    When I do use the foot pedal I hold it on my lap and use my hands to work it. It's a real pain in the butt to try and work with my foot.
    I'm wondering if anybody else has any problems with their transmitters other than the 3v battery getting low. We fish a trolling motor only lake most of the time now and really give it a work out.
    I was doing the same thing until I got a co-pilot on mine. No problems so far. I also like the wrist band.. I'm left handed so I put it on left arm cast and hold pole in left hand and reel and control the Tm with right hand I can almost do both at the same time.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer