Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my latest stake beds?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of my latest stake beds?

Can't believe how simple and cheap these are to make! Now the only question is, will the fish like them as much as I do?!? haha
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

wil the concrete stick to the pallet?

Post Thanks / Like

Not very well. I think I'm going to have to liquid nails/zip-tie some bricks to it like usual. This was the first time trying concrete. Maybe I'll just duct tape the 'crete down...
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking stake beds. I've never made any before, we usually just sink cedar trees.
    What about removing the boards you put the concrete on and nailing one to the outside and nailing another to the inside of your outmost bottom board to create a form to pour your concrete in? I don't know if that would make them too heavy to handle or not
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

nice
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinsurance View Post
    Good looking stake beds. I've never made any before, we usually just sink cedar trees.
    What about removing the boards you put the concrete on and nailing one to the outside and nailing another to the inside of your outmost bottom board to create a form to pour your concrete in? I don't know if that would make them too heavy to handle or not
    That's a great idea. You don't have to fil it all the way up, but knowing how much weight it took to sink the last pair, it'd probably have to at least be close to full. THANKS!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappies will love them.

You could also just pour your concrete into 3-4 gallon pails and let it set. (Easier to transport the pallet and the buckets separately to the water) When you are ready to sink it, just slip the pail handle SLOWLY... over one of the stakes at a time until you have enough weight. Then you and your fishing buddy sink the project.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to sinkum would be to just use some native rock off the shoreline. Just leave some pallets intact, take other pallets and break them down for the stakes.You might have to use some peices to build for short rails to hold the rocks onboard. That's all you need. Now you're not out any $$$ for concrete and don't have to mess with the weight of it. When the Corp on Oologah has their "Brush Day", they are sponsored by businesses that donate supplies. One of the items donated are palletes with sides on them. We would cut brush and trees from the banks, stick them in the pallet boxes, tie them off, and use rocks from the shoreline to load into it for the weight. It works great! Why spend any money for crete???
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 09-20-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, we make our matts really close to this style. Go find some used concrete blocks. Slide the 4 blocks over 4 different verticals. (blocks have holes) This will hold them. Used blocks are more plentiful than you think if you look. We make our matts 8x8. We have 35 verticals per matt. Take some advice, these will be easier to find on the depth finder , if you had a few more verticals. I will try and find a picture of ours and post it. Also, we have a work boat. We have a conveyor on the front. We set the matt, with blocks, on the conveyer. When we get to a spot we roll it off the conveyor on the front of the boat. We throw out a bouy marker, mark it with the GPS and go get another one. We have over 600 of these and catch many fish each year.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They will work great

I am hooked
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast