Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Erie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Erie?

Guys,

Looking to take a charter trip to lake Erie this fall sometime for walleyes and/or smallmouths. Probably take a two day trip, won't need lodgeing (just will pull the camper). Anyone out there that can recommend a charter for this. Probably have 3-5 people to keep cost down.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I had occassion to fish a BASS tournament at Thousands Islands Ny some years ago. That is on the St. Lawrence river on the eastern end of Erie. I fished with Jow Thomas one day and we made the run into Lake Erie. The smallmount fishing greatly impressed me. Several years later I was up that way on business with no boat so I hired a guide for 1/2 day.

The fish were deep 40 ft over 65 feet of water. That day I saw on a sonar ( paper graph) pictures of fish like you see in the Lowarance manual. I could see a fish leave the school and come up to feed on a shad pod.
    The guide was strictly a live bait fisherman. My suggestion is to talk to several guides and get their feeling on what the fish will be doing when you plan to go. Make sure you party will be comfortable fishing that way.
    If you go for both bass and walleye I would use guides that are species specific.
    I didn't particularly like drifting minnows for smallmouth although we caught a lot of fish and a big group could do it.
    On another occassion my wife and I went to New England for our anniversary. She suprised me with a trip on Lake Champlain. It was a surprise.
    There I was on one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the USA with a guide that didn't fish for them. I had no equipment or anything. I think we were trolling for salmon or something. We never did catch one so I don't know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    I had occassion to fish a BASS tournament at Thousands Islands Ny some years ago. That is on the St. Lawrence river on the eastern end of Erie. I fished with Jow Thomas one day and we made the run into Lake Erie. The smallmount fishing greatly impressed me. Several years later I was up that way on business with no boat so I hired a guide for 1/2 day.

The fish were deep 40 ft over 65 feet of water. That day I saw on a sonar ( paper graph) pictures of fish like you see in the Lowarance manual. I could see a fish leave the school and come up to feed on a shad pod.
    The guide was strictly a live bait fisherman. My suggestion is to talk to several guides and get their feeling on what the fish will be doing when you plan to go. Make sure you party will be comfortable fishing that way.
    If you go for both bass and walleye I would use guides that are species specific.
    I didn't particularly like drifting minnows for smallmouth although we caught a lot of fish and a big group could do it.
    On another occassion my wife and I went to New England for our anniversary. She suprised me with a trip on Lake Champlain. It was a surprise.
    There I was on one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the USA with a guide that didn't fish for them. I had no equipment or anything. I think we were trolling for salmon or something. We never did catch one so I don't know for sure.
    Going from Thousand Islands into Lake Erie by boat would entail traveling the length of Lake Ontario and climbing up Niagara Falls. That guide really earned his money :D
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SEMOmike
    Guys,

Looking to take a charter trip to lake Erie this fall sometime for walleyes and/or smallmouths. Probably take a two day trip, won't need lodgeing (just will pull the camper). Anyone out there that can recommend a charter for this. Probably have 3-5 people to keep cost down.

Any suggestions?
    Go to www.walleyecentral.com It's a walleye site and I'm sure you'll get some good answers there. Who know's maybe some private individual will offer to take you out. You might offer a swap of crappie fishing for walleye fishing. Woops, didn't notice 3-5 people, that might be tough for a swap. Anyhow you'll get some goods tips for guides and the best time for fishing. I believe the walleye move from west to east during the summer, so you may need a charter in OH, PA, or NY depending on the time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget to try for the crappies while you are there. Lake Erie has some of the best crappie fishing in the north!!!
    R

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dealers Choice Charter

Our local boat dealer (Strange's Boats) recommends Capt. Dennis Lutz for walleye, smallmouth bass and yellow perch. I have a pamphlet we picked up a couple of years ago, so I'm sure prices aren't current. You can schedule a full eight hour trip or cut it to half
    Evening phone: 937-866-8391; Cell: 937-654-0791
    Hope this helps. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I used Playin' Hooky Charter. Capt. Jerry Taylor is a pretty good guy. Check out his website at Playin' Hooky Charter
    Last edited by fishintiger; 05-18-2005 at 08:04 AM.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going Sat moning with a friend that has his own boat and docks it in the Vermillion River. I will ask the guy at the baithouse there, he has always been a strait shooter with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike-- I've used these guys about 4 times and have always had a great time.I have also stayed at their motel. Good people to deal with. They have 5 Sportcraft boats. We were always on a 30 footer. Walleye and also smallmouth trips I know for a fact they will do a good job. Located in Port Clinton,Ohio.
    www.holidayvillageresort.com

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this information too.
    http://www.micharterboats.com/flashindex.html
    I'd rather be on the lake enjoying the thrill of my rod telling me there's a fish on the end of my line. :D

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast