Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to Crappie Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Crappie Fishing

I'm new to crappie fishing . Started this Febuary and gone head over heals for it. In the past 20 yrs have been a die hard bass fisherman fishing tournaments and such but now have found crappie. I have been drifting and spider rigging creek channels and spawning areas since Feb. My question is where do the crappie move to after the spawn (post spawn pattern) what are some tips and techniques for this time of year. I've been reading these forums for about 4 months but just now decided to register and it seems like a bunch of good ole guys I'm looking foward to sharing ideas with yall.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Boujig. You'll like it here. Lots of honest-to-goodness, low-down info available here. Step down to the Alabama board and you'll find lots of help.
    Last edited by Fishnbuddy; 05-17-2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: mis-spelled name

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Boujig - carefull this place is as adictive as crappie fishing itself.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to have another Bama man here. Post spawn crappie are very sluggish and harder to induce a strike. After spawn and the water heating to the high 70s look deep. Go back out to the channel ledges. Fish the same areas you did in Febuary except more times than not you will find them suspended in 15'-30' water. Docks in deep water near deep water drops produce in the summer. You might catch them 8' down in 50' water. Speed up your troll a bit and match the hatch size.
    Good luck and we are looking forward to your reports.

Smitty

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hey Smitty i hope those Bama boy are good one of my daughters married one frome Roanoke :D . he likes to bass fish . i will have to teach hem to crappie fish
    Last edited by papasage; 05-18-2005 at 05:21 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Falconsmitty is right. Check the first major dropoffs. THey will stay there the rest of the year. They will be following the shad around in a couple of weeks, but know where the cover is in these depths. The fish will suspend a little shallower than they did in February.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association