Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: marking fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default marking fish

is it legal in missouri to catch a legal size crappie and tie a string with a balloon tied on the other end to the fish and release the fish and fish around the balloon to find the school of fish? i have looked in the mdc book and can not find anything on this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin m View Post
    is it legal in missouri to catch a legal size crappie and tie a string with a balloon tied on the other end to the fish and release the fish and fish around the balloon to find the school of fish? i have looked in the mdc book and can not find anything on this
    I e-mailed this question to MDC.

My personal thoughts would be it is not legal. But it is some thing to think about.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to understand the conservation book is, IF IT'S NOT IN THERE THEN IT'S NOT ALLOWED. the part about returning your catch to the water unharmed is the catch on the baloon trick, jmo

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your crappie has better luck of not getting hung up than I do.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

What ???? Put That Thing In The Livewell And Go Back To Fishing .....
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

The Wildlife Code of Missouri is a permissive code, which means unless it says you can do something, you can't. Specifically, 3CSR 10-4.110 states that "No bird, fish, crayfish, mussel, amphibian, reptile, mammal or other form of wildlife, including their homes, dens, nests, eggs and larvae in Missouri shall be molested, pursued, taken, hunted, trapped, tagged, marked, enticed, poisoned, killed, transported, stored, served, bought, sold, given away, accepted, possessed, propagated, imported, exported, or liberated into the wild in any manner, number, part, parcel or quantity, at any time,. except as specifically permitted by these rules..." Since there is no regulation permitting fish tagging of any sort, then what you suggest is illegal. Doing what you suggest is not releasing a fish unharmed, either, and would be considered a form of molesting. So, attaching a balloon to a fish and releasing it to fish around is not a legal practice.

Hope this helps!

Rich

Richard E. Wehnes
    Fisheries Programs Supervisor
    Missouri Department of Conservation
    P.O. Box 180
    Jefferson City, MO 65102-0180
    573/751-4115 extension 3162
    573/526-0990 (fax)
    email: [email protected]
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Hope your crappie has better luck of not getting hung up than I do.
    Hehe, amen Frosty. Just what I'd want is a free swimming fish that relates to woody cover with a balloon tied to it. I'd suggest you tie a helium filled balloon around your neck and go visit a store that sells ceiling fans, have about the same result.

Post Thanks / Like

For a 1st post............this was a goodun! Keep em comin. Welcome to the board.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this happen, and it's freaking amazing how far they will travel in a 8 hour day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default marking fish

the timber would not be a problem either in the winter when the fish are above brush in open water or in the spring as they start to stage for there spawn.how would this be any different than catching a catfish on a jug or catching crappie on small jugs with minnows either way the fish will try to stay schooled up even if you are waiting for it to tier out. i think it should be legal as long as your balloon or whatever you use is labeled same as a jug or trotline.