PDA

View Full Version : What type of rods to use for vertical

lungbuster
09-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I've never really done a lot of vertical fishing. It's something I want to try. What type of rods do ya'll use, in terms of length and what type of action?

Also, what about trolling crankbaits, same question about the rods ya'll use for that technique.

luvjign
09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I've never really done a lot of vertical fishing. It's something I want to try. What type of rods do ya'll use, in terms of length and what type of action? BNM Fishing (http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-94-bucks-custom-crappie-rod.aspx) 10 footers for me. Some like 11'....some like 12'. Some folks like their hand behind the reel. I like my reel on the butt for balance.......Just one of many opinions I'm sure you'll get.

LBM
09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
If I'm fishing shallow I prefer the 10 - 11 footers but fishing deeper I will use the 6 -7 footers for vertical tight lining.

sticksteer
09-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I like the Walley Marshall 9 footers(ones with the cork handles).

ProvTexas
09-13-2008, 10:18 PM
For standing timber/brush piles I like a 8' and shallow stumps or springtime I like a 10'.
ProAngler of course:D

Jeepster04
09-13-2008, 10:43 PM
If you are talking about spider rigging, I use WM tightlines. Good solid backbone for spider or trolling cranks. I spider rig with 14ft rods and pull cranks with 12ft. rods. For tossing a jig around cover, I use a WM pro series 8-10ft lengths. Just got one of the 12'ers and not real happy with it. Much heavier than the 10'er. Much more fatiguing on the wrists and arms.

Wiskers
09-13-2008, 10:46 PM
I got a few of the 10 1/2' Crappie WIzards a few years ago. I Like them better than anything I've used.

20watt
09-13-2008, 11:28 PM
i use two 11ft bucks with the reel seat on the end of the pole

chaunc
09-14-2008, 08:10 AM
10ft Richard Williams series Crappie Wizards for me. 5'6" B&M sharpshooter for tightline jigging in deep water. Can't beat the feel with a 1/8 or 1/4oz jig.

lungbuster
09-14-2008, 09:26 AM
If you are talking about spider rigging, I use WM tightlines. Good solid backbone for spider or trolling cranks. I spider rig with 14ft rods and pull cranks with 12ft. rods. For tossing a jig around cover, I use a WM pro series 8-10ft lengths. Just got one of the 12'ers and not real happy with it. Much heavier than the 10'er. Much more fatiguing on the wrists and arms.

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified better. No not for spider rigging but vertical fishing for like stake beds, stumps, etc. in maybe some deeper water using two hooks/jigs etc.

CrappiePappy
09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified better. No not for spider rigging but vertical fishing for like stake beds, stumps, etc. in maybe some deeper water using two hooks/jigs etc.

I think 10ft would be more than adequate ... with a very, very light 12ft'r as the maximum.

Whatever brand, or length, just make sure that the reel you choose to put on it .... makes a balanced outfit. Butt end heavy outfits may feel like they weigh more than they do, and may force you to hold the rod closer to the butt end (than you normally would) -- tip end heavy outfits wear on your wrist, and fatique you faster. Balance also depends on what type reel you intend to use. I use spinning reels, so all my statements are made in reference to them. Even then (using a spinning reel), it can also depend on where you normally let the reel fit between your fingers ... as in which fingers does the reel's seat post come between -- trigger & middle - both middle - or the third & pinkie.
How can you tell if the reel weight & placement makes a balanced outfit ?? What I've tried to do, and has so far worked pretty well, is to grasp the rod/reel ... at the place on the handle where I would normally hold it .... then remove all but my trigger finger .... if the rod doesn't dip forward or backward, then I consider it pretty balanced. It's easier to adjust, on a Tenn handle (no reel seat) ... but, on a rod that has a reel seat, the weight of the reel is the critical balancing factor (vs the rod length/tip weight of the rod).

... luck2ya, in your choice

.. cp :cool:

The Lip RIPPERS
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Like CP stated, balance is the key when you are vertical / probing around cover / structure. This is more evident the longer the rod the more noticible the balance factor will play on your choice, dont be surprised if you go through 2 or 3 rods before settling on the one right for you. we all have that one special rod that shines....good luck!

TacoBender
09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I've used a lot of rods, BPS micro lights, WM, B-N-M,and other brand names. Not long ago I had a chance to try PRO ANGLER RODS and they are the best rod that I've ever used. They have a short front handle so you can put a finger on the rod blank and the big plus is the backbone of these rods. No other rod I've used has as much backbone as these. I use 8 fter's for all my vertical trolling you'll have more controll with a 8ft rod.
GoodLuck

ad1974
09-15-2008, 10:49 AM
I have been using my 11ft Wally Marshall Universal rod rigged with a small spinning reel alot and really like the feel of it,it's heavier than the 11 ft BNM BGJP I was using,but so far it's shown to be a more durable rod.I also really like the 10ft BNM Brushcutter I have and use that quite a bit,that rod is plenty tough and is also sensitive rod.

SpeckWick
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I've been using a 10' BnM Sam Heaton Super Sensitive. I like it a lot. It is definitely sensitive enough to feel those little ticks and thumps. I use an old Browning reel that I've had for about a hundred years on it. I don't cast with it anyway, but the drag on that old reel is super smooth. It's not quite an ultralite reel, a little bigger. It balances quite well. I have an 11 footer on the way. I have been told by a few guys that the 10' is too short and a 12' is too long and end heavy. I'm gonna find out for myself. Just whatever you get, if it is a jigging rod, don't troll with it. I broke a BnM Bucks graphite 10 footer vertical trolling once trying to set the hook, and they wouldn't honor the warranty because it is not a trolling rod. That's what I get for being honest I guess....You can't go wrong with BnM though.

lungbuster
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone for thier input. You have given me several options to consider.

Breas
09-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I've tried many brands... B&M, Outlaw, Wally M and others but I like the new style Pro Angler rods the best.

speckfinder
09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
For 90% of my vertical jigging I use 10' b n m Sam Heatons. They are sensitive, light and strong. My reels are closed face spinning triggers. I rarely use them for reeling, just depth control. The trigger is handy for this.

Big Willie
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Who carries the Pro Anglers Rods?

minnowsoaker
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
For the vertical type crappie fishing described I like Ugly Stick Light Pro models in ultra light action the ones that have the cork handles paired with Pflueger President Micro 6720 reels. 5' and 7' rods staggered (live bait). I've bought a lot of expensive rods in the past (all broken one way or another) and I like the Uglys the best and not just for their durability. This rod and reel combo is probably the only thing ever to come out of China thats worth a #@%$!

minnowsoaker
09-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I should have stated the above setup is for night fishing under lights while anchored.

stumpy76522
09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Who carries the Pro Anglers Rods?
Pro Angler Tackle Rods (http://www.proanglertackle.com/RodGuide.htm)

NIMROD
09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
BNM Fishing (http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-94-bucks-custom-crappie-rod.aspx) 10 footers for me. Some like 11'....some like 12'. Some folks like their hand behind the reel. I like my reel on the butt for balance.......Just one of many opinions I'm sure you'll get.

+1 I use 12' 2'' most of the time with a reel .;)

slabbandit
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
My wife and I use the 11 ft. Bucks Graphite Jig Pole. I like an 8 ft. for wade fishing. These rods have the foam handles and the small plastic reels way up the handle. Probably not the ideal set-up for jigging but if we want to switch over to spiderrigging these rods will work in the rod holders also.
I'm thinking about getting us a couple good 11 footers with a cork handle and a rearward reel seat strickly for jigging.:)