Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you name this lure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you name this lure?

OK, gang....I realize this might be off topic a bit but I wanted to get this mystery lure in front of as many eyes as I could.

A friend of my wife gave me a ton of old fishing tackle to give an approx. value to. I have been doing this for years and between my catalog library and Ebay I am rarely stumped unless it was a one of a kind hand carved, or a few of a kind prototype. But this one has me scratching my head. Here is the description, with pictures below.

The lure is approx. 3" long and 1-1/2" across the face. It is a solid body made of a some type of resin, and does not appear or act like plastic. It's more like the material a pool ball is made from. It does not appear to be molded or does it appear to be carved. The single hook you see in the picture folds up into the body, and the little "comb" on top (which is plastic) also folds down into the body. I couldn't resist pulling it through the water to see what it's action was like. A constant retrieve produces an action somewhat like a Jitterbug with a lisp. A popping action is much like a Hula Popper except it throws a much smaller amount of water, 2-3 ft. in front of itself. It is a floater, but sets very low in the water, with only perhaps an 1/8" showing when at rest.

Being that 99.9 % of this tackle is Shakespeare as his Grandfather had some sort of connection with Shakespeare, my first thought was/is proto-type.......what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what it is but thats one ugly lure!!!!!!!!!

Looks like a mushroom with a key and a hook sticking out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ask Bassmaster

Bassmaster runs a column on antique gear. You can email them at [email protected]
    Put "What's it worth?" in the subject line and send along the photos. Or, you can snail mail the photos to

BASS
    Bassmaster Magazine
    "What's It Worth?
    PO Box 10000
    Lake Buena vista, FL 32830

Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Roberta.....I just sent the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Bassmaster runs a column on antique gear. You can email them at [email protected]
    Put "What's it worth?" in the subject line and send along the photos. Or, you can snail mail the photos to

BASS
    Bassmaster Magazine
    "What's It Worth?
    PO Box 10000
    Lake Buena vista, FL 32830

Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    Thanks, Roberta.....I just sent the pics.
    Hmmmm.....may not be any help, here is the response I just received.....

Thank you for your inquiry. I will forward it to Karl White. Mr. White addresses these types of inquiries here at Bassmaster Magazine. Karl is an expert at antique fishing paraphernalia and has authored several books on the subject. His monthly column, "What's It Worth?" features questions regarding old fishing tackle, lures, etc.

However, due to the popularity and overwhelming response to this column, only those questions selected for publication in his article will be answered. Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Althea Goodyear
    Assistant Editor
    BASS
    P.O. Box 10000

Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Post Thanks / Like

howdy VV; you must be 'the glass is half empty' person. at least it's there, and if ms. goodyear let's 10 or 20 psi out of her butt (better traction)she might do her job with a bit more flair and a better message to those that do submit items for consideration.
    by the way the 'comb' looks like a key in the photos. lol. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

That's probably just a standard reply. I'll bet your item is odd enough to get a response.
    It seems like I've seen something in one of the columns about a fin that stuck up like that, but it may just be a hallucination on my part. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to Shakespeare , maybe you can contact them and see if it's one of theirs, as long as they've been in bussiness I bet they have a collector or two looking around out there !!

http://shakespeare-fishing.com/

Good Luck
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim, I just fired the pics off to "antiques@Shakespeare"

Quote Originally Posted by DmDuck
    Here is the link to Shakespeare , maybe you can contact them and see if it's one of theirs, as long as they've been in bussiness I bet they have a collector or two looking around out there !!

http://shakespeare-fishing.com/

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I believe what you have there is the "KEY" to crappie fishing.
    Seriously good luck in your search.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast