Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Follow up on "Yellow Fillets"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Follow up on "Yellow Fillets"

Well gang, as I promised, here's the follow up concerning the off color fillets. This is the actual email that I received from our state fish biologist. Dr. Hawke is a fish pathologist, who is doing the analysis....

I finally heard back from Dr. Hawke yesterday. From his preliminary diagnosis, he feels like the dark color is from something the crappie are eating. I didn't notice, but he said that there was even a little yellowish color to the outside edge of the scales (and that's unusual). He said that he would try to have an analysis of the pigment run. I also asked him to cook some of the off color filets. I don't remember if you said if they were off-flavor or not. When I hear something, I'll let you know.

Will post any other news concerning..............
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the follow-up, Tommy. I can't imagine anything other than crawfish that would impart that yellow color. I hope that's all it is.....looking forward to the final analysis!

Post Thanks / Like

crappie in one of Illinois trout stocking ponds are gold in color.I assumed it was the goose poo and corn being fed to the poo factories. Last few I caught late in fall were almost green. Not been back as not appetizing conditions.