Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall Crappie tips anybody???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Crappie tips anybody???

Hello to all,

I am new to the board and was wondering if anybody had any pointers for me. I fish a lake that in the spring and early summer the crappie action is outstanding. Basically you find them in shallow brushpiles and the shallow grass until the water warms up to about 70 then, you have to fish secondary drop offs, creekchannels, deeper structure(9-17ft) or deeper flats adjacent to those shallow brush piles. I have had some luck pulling crankbaits this yr in late summer, but never any super days. I've been trolling them in 14-25ft of water and they run from 9 to 13ft deep. The problem with my lake is that the water is soooooo much lower now.....about 8ft. ANybody have any pointer on how to locate fall crappie. Temp, depth, technique and structure info would be greatly appreciated.

TIght Lines-Silverking55
    I pray that I may live to fish....... Until my dying day.
    And when it comes to my last cast, I then most humbly pray:
    When in the Lord's great landing net And peacefully asleep
    That in His mercy I be judged Big enough to keep.

Post Thanks / Like

Structure, structure, structure.
    I'd ask your fellow Pennsylvanian Chaunc.
    He could probably point you to specific areas of the lake you are fishing depending on what portion of the state you are fishing.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opie1 View Post
    Structure, structure, structure.
    I'd ask your fellow Pennsylvanian Chaunc.
    He could probably point you to specific areas of the lake you are fishing depending on what portion of the state you are fishing.
    Thank God for Akron Ohio. I spent many a year there at the corner of Delia and Hawkins. Chaunc is a Pittsburg Steeler fan. I thought he had better sence than that. Real fishermen love the Browns.

Anyway Silverking, welcome to the board. There are plenty of tips on my CD and in the current newsletter on my website. As a general rule, look for structure and weeds. SLOW IT DOWN!!!! Most people fish way too fast.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest tip I know of is don't quit too early in the year. Up to a point, the colder it gets, the better the fishing gets, and that point is well after it gets pretty danged cold out on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

im starting to get them in 8ft deep wood, with twister-tails, slow. that will continue till deer season interupts that. keep moving quietly till you find the school and size fish you want. also probe way back in core of the wood!

good luck

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverking55 View Post
    Hello to all,

I am new to the board and was wondering if anybody had any pointers for me. I fish a lake that in the spring and early summer the crappie action is outstanding. Basically you find them in shallow brushpiles and the shallow grass until the water warms up to about 70 then, you have to fish secondary drop offs, creekchannels, deeper structure(9-17ft) or deeper flats adjacent to those shallow brush piles. I have had some luck pulling crankbaits this yr in late summer, but never any super days. I've been trolling them in 14-25ft of water and they run from 9 to 13ft deep. The problem with my lake is that the water is soooooo much lower now.....about 8ft. ANybody have any pointer on how to locate fall crappie. Temp, depth, technique and structure info would be greatly appreciated.

TIght Lines-Silverking55
    Dont let the warm water throw you off. Crappies will stay in that warm water as long as there is cover and food there. I have a few areas that they never leave. As for fall, locate some deep stumps and start from there and work your way to the dropoffs. I slow troll microspoons tipped with minnows and do pretty good.
    And Shipahoy, 9 straight loses to my steelers still hasn't taught you anything. Get a grip. Maybe you should start rooting for a team closer to home now. Like the Saints or Falcons. Let the browns rest in peace. They've been dead for 10 years now. Haven't made the playoffs since they got the team back. Sorry, my bad. We beat them 3 times the year they made the playoffs.:D

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish eat all year round. They do not hibernate like some folks I know.....

Somebody needs to feed them.......I try.......
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't over cook the fillets.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]