Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Replacing Livewell Connector?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Replacing Livewell Connector?

I have a fiberglass livewell and the hose connector at the bottom where the water comes in broke on the outside. My question is: How do you remove the plastic connector glued inside the livewell wall? Any suggestions on how to remove to keep current hole size intact? Once removed, what kind of glue or silicone do you suggest using on new plastic connector?
    Thanks,
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky View Post
    I have a fiberglass livewell and the hose connector at the bottom where the water comes in broke on the outside. My question is: How do you remove the plastic connector glued inside the livewell wall? Any suggestions on how to remove to keep current hole size intact? Once removed, what kind of glue or silicone do you suggest using on new plastic connector?
    Thanks,
    Bassky
    Assuming it was installed properly, there will be a large plastic nut on the back side that you back off. Once you disconnect the hose, the fitting will slide through the hole into the livewell. Should be a standard size and any marine place or mail order will have it. It may be tough with the sealant, but it will come loose. Not gonna be easy as back side access is usually tight. Might need a second set of hands to hold the inside if it starts to spin.

As far as a sealant to replace it goes - Use 3M 4200 or Boat Works Life Caulk. Do not use the 5200 or anything designed to not be removed at some point for exactly the reason you're having to replace the fitting.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the 4200, wal mart should have it

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention that silicone - as in household or automotive is a poor choice for a marine environment, especially below the water line or in a livewell. It will eventually allow water to bypass it. Wal-Mart, at least currently, keeps 4200 and 5200 in their marine section, but only in one color - at least mine only has one. It is made in black and white. Life Caulk is as well and it's available at West Marine and other places I'm sure.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can access the wall of the livewell where the fitting is mounted, it should have a retainer nut like wannabe said. Back that nut off and the fitting should come loose. The hose going to the fitting should be a 3/4" id, if it is a standard fitting. Most any boat dealership or Academy or Walmart should have everything you need. If you can't access the livewell wall where the fitting is, that's another matter. I had to remove the gas tank from my Venture to access the outside of the livewell. If it is too much trouble, you may want to plug off the old livewell fitting and mount a new one in a spot that you can reach. If nothing else, mount a bar sprayer at the top and route the hose some other way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got it fixed

I had to remove my gas tank too. With a little pressure and removing the nut,it popped out:p. I put them in last nite. Will hook up the new hose line tonite if the rain holds off.
    Bassky