Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Screwed up?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Screwed up?

Maybe not. I broke one of my reels, even tho I only stepped on it a little bit. Anyway, BPS didn't have another Diawa Samuri in stock so I happened to pick up a Shakespeare Catera and it really felt good. Real light weight, 6 ball bearings and holds 115 yards of 4lb line. I haven't owned a shakespeare in many many years so I got one to give it a try. It felt so good after putting it on one of my rods, I decided to try one of those new BnM 6.5ft ultra light rods to use it on. I ordered it thru the link on top so it will be a while before I get it. Maybe I'm on to something and maybe not. Woops, I'm still a reel short. Anyone used shakespeare reels lately?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, have a under handed trigger micro-spin on one of my 7.5 footer Richard Williams rods right now. Don't know the model number, but have had it since high school and besides cleaning it and oiling it, trouble free.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I own several shakespear reels and have never had any problem with them. Also Shakespear makes a jigging pole called the Wonder Pole. A very nice option to the BnM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ibnfshn

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Maybe not. I broke one of my reels, even tho I only stepped on it a little bit. Anyway, BPS didn't have another Diawa Samuri in stock so I happened to pick up a Shakespeare Catera and it really felt good. Real light weight, 6 ball bearings and holds 115 yards of 4lb line. I haven't owned a shakespeare in many many years so I got one to give it a try. It felt so good after putting it on one of my rods, I decided to try one of those new BnM 6.5ft ultra light rods to use it on. I ordered it thru the link on top so it will be a while before I get it. Maybe I'm on to something and maybe not. Woops, I'm still a reel short. Anyone used shakespeare reels lately?

I have not tried shakespeare lately but, I had one when I was a kid and it out performed a Diawa that cost 3 times as much. I have had 2 Diawa reels. One Baitcaster and one spinning and won't ever buy a Diawa reel again. Although I'm a Shimano man I would take a shakespeare over a Diawa any day.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a little Shakespeare reel that's pretty smooth and seems like it's gonna do real well. Most all of our jigging poles have Zebco 11T's on em (11.99 at Wal Mart). They have held up well and we fish with em practically year round.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you too much , I do have 2 of their ultra light combos from Wally World and I love 'em to death , they work out real well out of the canoe too by being 4 1/2 '.
    I do use their Tiger Spin combos exclusively for catfish Tournies and so far no problems , this is my first year back into the game of tourny fishing for catfish and I won my first trip out !! My original Rod & Reel from Shakespeare was my winning set up ... this rig is at least 10 years old if not older ( I ain't fished tournies in 8 years ) , I'll give you one better ( silly On my part ) but it still has on the 50# test I put on it when I first bought it . I do pull off all the 12# test that comes on the Tiger Spins and replace it with 50# and my only complaint would be Shakespeare needs to step up the line weight to at least 20# for their big set ups .
    You wanna have some fun tie into some crappie on those 4 1/2 " ultra lights pulling a Roadrunner or hit the river and hunt up some rockbass or smallies !! While you are doing that ... I'm gonna search their web site for a 7 1/2' medium light rod !!

http://shakespeare-fishing.com/
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 Shakespeare Cateras (small size) and have been quite satisfied... except for the tendency of the crank to loosen if I don't check it now and then. Have to spend twice the money to see any improvement.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 05-17-2005 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie
    I have 3 Shakespeare Cateras (small size) and have been quite satisfied... except for the tendency of the crank to loosen if I don't check it now and then. Have to spend twice the money to see any improvement.
    Thanks for the heads up. That is what this one is (the small one) so I'll keep an eye on it. I haven't even put line on it yet but the handle seems pretty tight.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

so I happened to pick up a Shakespeare Catera
    Interestingly, a 10' 6" rod (ultra light) I have is a Shakespeare Catera. Maybe made to be a match set?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 - 9' Shakespeare Ugly Sticks w/ Shakespeare Synergy underspin reels. These are Ok for jigging but don't try to use a bobber stop.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap