PDA

View Full Version : Two Simple Tips

Don G
09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Well, not so simple for forgetful older folks..:)

1st:::I have noticed a loud pop coming from my trolling motor the last few trips but when I would get home after fishing I would forget about the pop..This morning I walked by my boat and the "light came on":) I started geasing all pivot points but still the pop. I deployed the motor 1/2 way and found that 1 of my mounting bolts had worked loose...The rubber type for fiberglass boats..I tightened the bolt & the popping has left...I just never think about tightening bolts if things are working...Loose bolts of this kind can also cause spider webbing cracks in your fiberglass...

2nd::: I needed to install 4 vertical rod holders to transport trolling rods when moving from spot to spot....I was cramped for space but installing the holders too close would cause the reels to overlap and cause a tangle problem. I finally figured out that staggering my holders would allow me solve the problem and also have room for mounting..See picture below.. I know these are 2 very simple things but sometimes we get in a hurry and overlook or take for granite some things..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/Noahsarc/RodHolders002.jpg

STUMP HUNTER
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
It's the simple things that get us in trouble- good tips for all of us. Thanks for posting them.

Cane Pole
09-10-2008, 10:31 AM
use red Locktite on those rubber mount screws threads. I know.:o

I like the staggered holder idea. If I ever get a boat, I may havta try this.

dedawg1149
09-10-2008, 10:32 AM
nice tips thanks

Daplumber
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Nice tips, I use the Blue loctite on all threads.
John

Cane Pole
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Nice tips, I use the Blue loctite on all threads.
John

I am learning..

krappiekrazy
09-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I like the rod holder tip.

Nelson
09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Red Locktite is a guaranteed way to have to cut the nut off if you ever need to remove the bolt. Use the blue instead.

Cane Pole
09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Red Locktite is a guaranteed way to have to cut the nut off if you ever need to remove the bolt. Use the blue instead.

I learnt that.

I knows some things about electronics but I don't knows nothin' bout nuts. I know bout some kooks though...:)

boatstall
09-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Nelson, don't be messing with us. Henkel Consumer Adhesives, Inc. makers of Loctite will argue with you.

Loctite Blue #242 Removable. Torque (in. lbs.) break/prevail 115/53
Loctite Red #271 Permanent. Torque (in. Lbs.) break/prevail 230/320

Add normal corrosion to the red, and then you would be correct.

Blue=remove
Red=Face turns red while straining to remove.

Just don't want any of you to screw up a expensive scope on a rifle, or similar grief on a boat, not that I would know about a set of scope mounts, that required a gunsmith to remove a long time ago........

Darryl Morris
09-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Awe, come on gents, just resign yourself to working on your boat EVERY DAY and you'll be fine, LOL.

Great pointers, Don, truly!!! The little things do count, I keep telling myself that.

gone_fishing
09-11-2008, 04:59 AM
actually your a bit modest about knowing some things about electronics cane pole

gone_fishing
09-11-2008, 05:00 AM
oh and Don great pointers

fishdoc
09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm with Darryl on this one, work on something on mine bout every day I ain't fishin. but would add one point to Don' suggestions: carry a notepad and write it down while ya out in the boat and see sumthin needs attention...the older we get....now if I can just find my notepad...

lowe rider
09-12-2008, 08:55 AM
LOCTITE is easier to break loose if you heat it. I have found that if you use a soldering iron/gun on a nut or bolt it will soften the LOCTITE enough to loosen the fastener.

PanMan_VA
09-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Use Loctite 222 (purple) for fasteners #10 and smaller and use Loctite 242 (blue) for 1/4" and larger.

Cane Pole
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Wonder if Loctite would fix my loose bowels? This pink stuff ain't stopping much.:(

Nelson
09-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Nelson, don't be messing with us. Henkel Consumer Adhesives, Inc. makers of Loctite will argue with you.

Loctite Blue #242 Removable. Torque (in. lbs.) break/prevail 115/53
Loctite Red #271 Permanent. Torque (in. Lbs.) break/prevail 230/320

Add normal corrosion to the red, and then you would be correct.

Blue=remove
Red=Face turns red while straining to remove.

Just don't want any of you to screw up a expensive scope on a rifle, or similar grief on a boat, not that I would know about a set of scope mounts, that required a gunsmith to remove a long time ago........

I believe what I said was that "red " is permanent so use blue ( which would allow the nuts to be removed without destroying the fastener). Sorry if I confounded y'all

Speck
09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Good tips! Thanks

boatstall
09-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Nelson, I apologize for that post addressed to you. I misread and was wrong.
Serious pain killers from a surgery can apparently make a logic path take the wrong fork in the mind. Wife says I've been a real pain in the backside. Once again I am apologizing and hope their are no hard feelings.

This hopefully will be my last post until the meds. are no longer needed.
Sorry to any others that may have also been subjected to the rantings of a less than sober mind.

boatstall

fingerlicken
09-21-2008, 05:57 AM
I was wondering what everyone used on those bolts, I have to tighten mine all the time. Thanks guys!

Nelson
09-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Nelson, I apologize for that post addressed to you. I misread and was wrong.
Serious pain killers from a surgery can apparently make a logic path take the wrong fork in the mind. Wife says I've been a real pain in the backside. Once again I am apologizing and hope their are no hard feelings.

This hopefully will be my last post until the meds. are no longer needed.
Sorry to any others that may have also been subjected to the rantings of a less than sober mind.

boatstall
No hard feelings, I just thought I might have cornfused the issue a little. Those meds can and will play tricks on you so watch em. ('m a pain in the arse to the little woman too- HIMAROID!)