Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gps?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps?

Looking to buy a GPS unit soon and have been thinking about a Garmin E-trex H. Have a couple questions about it. 1. Saw some where it said the memory is permanent. Does this mean you can't delete waypoints you don't want/need any more? 2. Read in another thread about PC compatablility issues with E-trex series. I fish Kentucky Lake and would like be able to use the unit with kyhydrographics maps on cd's. Will I be able to download/upload way points from these types of maps?

Thanks!
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have one and you can delete the way points. Not sure about the other question as I have not tried it.

My one disappointment with the unit is that I cannot seem to get closer than about 14' to my way point position. That leaves me drilling numerous holes in the ice to find my structure with my Vexilar.

Yep, up north fisherman.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Looking to buy a GPS unit soon and have been thinking about a Garmin E-trex H. Have a couple questions about it. 1. Saw some where it said the memory is permanent. Does this mean you can't delete waypoints you don't want/need any more? 2. Read in another thread about PC compatablility issues with E-trex series. I fish Kentucky Lake and would like be able to use the unit with kyhydrographics maps on cd's. Will I be able to download/upload way points from these types of maps?

Thanks!
    Yes to upload/download if you got the serial/usb cable. Easy to set this up.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Crappie Professor Guest

Yes, you can manually load way points and trails(for trolling) delete, edit what ever you what.....with the usb cable you can import and export way points and tracks......surprised to hear about the 14' accuracy though...used the product line for several years with less than 10 ' return ability.....helped us qualify in the "North American Ice Fishing Championship",NAIFC in 07.....also used it at the Crappie USA Classic 07 and found it's ability to quickly correct our position,and direction of travel better than the hard wired boat navigation system......most bang for your buck I think.....just my 2 cents...

Crappie Professor <º))><

P.S. by permenant did they perhaps misinterpet the units ability to hold way points if the batteries go dead????(good feature if your away from a new battery supply).....got the cigarette adaptor for low power times
    Last edited by Crappie Professor; 09-10-2008 at 02:06 PM.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its been my experience that the 14 foot accuracy is on the low end....I have an bottom end Etrex and I have seen it off as much as 28 feet. It seems like the faster I am moving the closer I can get to the waypoint. With the trolling motor it seems like the inaccuracy moves up up somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ETrex H. It is accurate within 5 feet. It is very simple to use and you can delete any waypoints, routes, tracks, anything.

I have never tried to load anything to the computer from it.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for a handheld GPS as well.What is the best for the money? What features do you guys think are most helpful or does a base model include all the important features? Are some models more accurate?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to an article that may help -- Family Fishing Trips -- if it doesn't go directly to it the title is "How to Use your GPS". I personally like the Garmin Map Marine GPS76 series with the larger screen and user friendly interface. All in all, you should get the one that best fits your needs.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Maverick, no Gps needed if you can't get it off the trailer. LOL! Go with a Garmin, My map60 has done a great job showing us where not to catch crappie. Just imagine how deadly it would be with the right hands.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong choosing a Garmin GPS but one thing that I would definately say to get would be one with an "electronic compass". You'll pay more but the pointer will never leave the direction to the brushpile even when the wind stalls your forward movement.
    Trust me on this as I have a Garmin Etrex Camo without the electronic compass and the pointer goes crazy unless you have some movement going.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast