PDA

View Full Version : Wally Marshall 14' Rods question

T_om
09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I am about to spring on half a dozen 14' rods. It is a question of the Wally Marshall Universal Crappie Rod or the Wally Marshall Tightline Special.

I would appreciate any first hand info regarding these rods from present of past owners and the benefits of one over the other.

These are going to be used as standard spider rigging rods and pushing jigs mostly.

Tom

possumcop
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
You ever tried ant BnM's? I have about 50 BnM 14 footers that I use so go figure. You ever met WM?

monkscrappie
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
If you are going to push jigs with additional lead such as 1/2 to 3/4 oz, you will like the heavier action of the Tightline Specials.

Monk
monkscrappie.com

Tight Line Fever
09-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I have both, the Tightlines are the best for spider rigging for me. I also pull crankbaits with them.

oldwun
09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I like my tightlines real well! Check Monkscrappie for best prices I have found.

T_om
09-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, Monk's is where I'll buy, great service. I just have never laid hands on either of these rods and wanted some opinions from those than have.

Sounds like the TightLines are winning. :)

Tom

PS: Is there a major weight difference between the two?

Jeepster04
09-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I love my tightlines. Don't know if I would go to anything else. I agree with Monk, you'll like the backbone especially if you fish windy lakes with big fish. I use low profile baitcasters with 10lb. test. 14 footers can be a little challenging when setting the hook though, so I had to change some habits. I also have some of the B & M Capps and Coleman rods and wasn't real happy with them at first because of their lack of backbone. However, I have found they have their purpose. Very calm days with a very light bite. Hope this helps.

bobberwatcher
09-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I have a couple 10's and 12's and love em. I have met WM as well and seems to be a swell guy. He took ALOT of time talking to my 4 yr old little girl and messing with her.

creekslick
09-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I have 4 Tightline Special that I troll cranks with and have caught some good cats and hybirds on with no problems.

slabbandit
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I love WM rods and am fixin' to stock up on some tightline rods.:)

Crappie George
09-07-2008, 06:52 AM
PossumCop I like your above post (ever met WM?) I sure have

Wiskers
09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I have 8 of these rods and I like them.

Downwind
09-07-2008, 10:30 AM
On sale at BPS

creekslick
09-07-2008, 01:22 PM
On sale at BPS

Hey Downwind, I called BPS to order a couple more 14'er when I saw they were on sale but they wanted to charge an extra 6 each for shipping because they are longer than 6'. When I argued over the extra charge because none of the sections are over 6' I was put on hold. When the sales lady came back she said the rod tube they use is over 6'. If you sell a 8' 9' or 10' and can ship it in a 60" or less tube you can ship 3 sections in one also.:mad:

tritonman
09-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I recently bought 2 WM 14' to start pulling/pushing (well at to start learning how to) crankbaits and they seem to do real well for this method of perch jerkin.

Downwind
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Just returned from BPS and I'm now the proud owner of two more 12' WM's not to mention all the other trinkets I just happened to pick up. Must have's you know. lol

With the extra charge for shipping it was actually cheaper to drive than ship.

possumcop
09-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Like I said earlier HAVE YALL EVER MET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
or HAVE YALL EVER FISH WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quicksilver1958
09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I'll Stick to my B n M's....

slabbandit
09-07-2008, 11:47 PM
I've also wondered how they can charge $6 extra when it's a 3 piece rod.:confused:

T_om
09-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Like I said earlier HAVE YALL EVER MET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
or HAVE YALL EVER FISH WITH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does this have to do with my question?

If you have some axe to grind with Wally Marshall, go start your own topic.

I'll Stick to my B n M's....
Good for you. And no, I don't want a BnM rod, nor was that included in my question either.

What's with you guys?

Tom

crappiechappy
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Tightline poles for spider rigging or universals for long line trolling. 2 totally different rods to me any way.

Sandwich Maker
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I use and like his rods.

I know him.

I have fished with him....a lot.

Your point?

T_om
09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Tightline poles for spider rigging or universals for long line trolling. 2 totally different rods to me any way.

Yeah, I figured the actions were quite different. The problem is, I have no way to hold them in my hands to actually try them out before buying... so I asked here. :)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Since we do mostly spider rigging and pushing jigs, the consensus of owners here seems to be the Tightline specials will do what I need.

Tom

crappiefarmer
09-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I figured the actions were quite different. The problem is, I have no way to hold them in my hands to actually try them out before buying... so I asked here. :)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Since we do mostly spider rigging and pushing jigs, the consensus of owners here seems to be the Tightline specials will do what I need.

Tom

If you don't go much above 1/2 ounces of lead on your line when tightlining then the universals are fine and are better with other uses. If you go heavier, then the tightline specials are your best bet. CF

T_om
09-09-2008, 09:03 PM
If you don't go much above 1/2 ounces of lead on your line when tightlining then the universals are fine and are better with other uses. If you go heavier, then the tightline specials are your best bet. CF

We are borderline on the weight then because we use 3/4 ounce round ball sinkers I pour myself. I got the molds in Australia while visiting family there. Pours 10 at a time. The molds down there are cheap. I paid the equivalent of about 7 bucks for it. :)

Those round balls shed weed pretty good, have little blowback while trolling at 1 to 1.2 mph and do not have a tendency to spin.

Tom

OsoFishy
09-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Stick with the Universal rods they can be used for many different techniques the tightlines are just a bit stiff for pushing jigs and trolling with you average weights such at 1/2 oz but the are great for 3/4 oz weights and up and also crankbaits!! Thats my two cents I have both in my boat but use the Universals more

slimeyslab
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
All I can say is that every Wally Marshall rod I have ever purchased has been top quality. And Yes possumcop I have me him several times at his seminars at BPS and he seems to be all right. Not really sure what that has to do with his rods though. Have you ever met Johnny Morris or Charles Spence? Probably not but I bet you still use their products.

sd_west
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
check out the Quantum rods the Huckabee models also if you can find em that is