Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing line ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing line ?

I have a question on fishing line for jigging. What type and pound would you recommend for a 9' rod w/small spinner. I also have an ultra-light rod and reel too. Is 4lb good or should it be more. Also, the video by Wally Marshall recommends a high viz line. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sufix Elite, high vis yellow.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use crappie hi vis line #6 pound test. Also Sufix Elite,high vis yellow in 10 pound test.
    I like sufix the best except when it is windy.

Post Thanks / Like

doesnt matter what fishing what pole or what reel// use suffix 4lb

Post Thanks / Like

Suffix Elite, High Vis, 10lb is my choice. At least when you hang up, wih a little luck you can pull the jig hook straight and retrieve a certain amount of them. Of course if it is gin-clear water then I go to 4-6lb and weedless jigs.

In average colored water I've been known to use Fireline braided line (actual 6lb diameter) that is either 10 or 12lb test. I don't like losin' my jigs but I don't like to get skunked either. If I'm not catchin' fish, the first thing I suspect is that my line is too visible and I go lighter. If that doesn't get it, after about 20or 30 minutes, I move to another brush pile until I find 'em.

aj
    Last edited by Arkie John; 09-06-2008 at 10:54 AM.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Personally speaking ....

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    I have a question on fishing line for jigging. What type and pound would you recommend for a 9' rod w/small spinner. I also have an ultra-light rod and reel too. Is 4lb good or should it be more. Also, the video by Wally Marshall recommends a high viz line. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
    .... and being a jig slinger, on most occasions, I use 4lb mono on all my jig casting outfits ... 5ft dock shooters to 8ft FnF outfits. Being a jig slinger, thus a line watcher ... I use hi-vis lines. I have used them in various "colors", but currently am using a chartreuse colored line on my most used outfits. It's Mr Crappie Super Hi-vis. My fishing partner uses Stren Gold, also in 4lb test. I've used it, too, and it works fine. I fish mostly under docks and in the timber, using a weedless jighead & various plastics, so I'm familiar with how these lines handle abrasion. Both do a pretty good job, considering their pound test rating, with the Mr Crappie line having a slight edge in strength and abrasion resistance.
    If you're looking for a low cost clear/blu mono, for fishing in the gin clear waters of Dale, you might also consider BPS Excel. If you think you'll need a hi-vis line (to see strikes), but a lo-vis or clear/blu line (so fish can't see line) ... you can always use the hi-vis as a main line, and the clearer mono as a leader. But, also understand that, just because the water is clear, is no sign that the Crappie will be all that shallow. So, depth can also help hide the line color.

I only have one outfit that has greater than 4lb test line on it, that I use for casting. It has 10/2 PowerPro hi-vis yellow braid on it. It's main function is to cast Roadrunners, Whirly Bees, and any other baits I choose to throw .... that are straight cast & retrieve types of baits, or baits larger than the 1/16oz jigs that I throw with the other outfits. But, it's also a much heavier action/larger reel outfit, than my lite & UL ones.

Everyone's got their favorites, and the reasons why they are ... these are just mine. They work on the lakes I use them on.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try 4 or 6 lb test Stren Gold Hi Vis. Ande makes a good line too, if price matters. If you worry about the hi vis line, buy a spool of flourocarbon and connect it with a uni-to-uni knot and go at 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

I am from California and was wondering what you guys think about the hi vis line in really clear water. I visit a friend in TN as often as possible and out there on old hickory I bought the bass pro hi vis and it worked well. However, the water was stained. wondering what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using stren micro fuse 12lb test. I consider it hi vis and it glows real nice under a black lite. I dont recommend the hi vis P-Line it is super strong but you have to stretch it out to make it spool and cast right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody, for all your advise. I'm going to BPS today to pick up some line and check out more tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast