Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Creek Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Creek Lake

Anybody fish Big Creek this time of year? Thinking of giving it a shot this weekend. I have never been there and would appreciate any info.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Creek

Quote Originally Posted by OBfishman View Post
    Anybody fish Big Creek this time of year? Thinking of giving it a shot this weekend. I have never been there and would appreciate any info.
    thanks
    OBfishman, Are you talking about Big Creek in Mobile that supplys the city drinking water?.

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Creek Lake

Yes that is the lake. Went Sat. and looked around and it's a good looking lake but don't know how deep to fish this time if the year. Does it have a thermocline or not because it's fairly deep?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Creek

Quote Originally Posted by OBfishman View Post
    Yes that is the lake. Went Sat. and looked around and it's a good looking lake but don't know how deep to fish this time if the year. Does it have a thermocline or not because it's fairly deep?
    Thanks
    I don't know about the thermocline, You should be able to tell about the thermocline on your depth finder.
    Could you see the fish holding in the water, What depth were most of the the fish supended in?.
    It is a deep lake, and there are a few guys that fish for crappie on a regular bases, But they are hard to get any info from, very tight lipped.
    I would suggest starting about 10 foot and see what happeneds.
    I would talk to the people that run that shop there that collect the launch fee, if they are still there, maybe they could help.
    I never found the crappie either, but they is some good blue gill fishing there also.
    I gave up to soon on Big Creek, The crappie are there, keep trying by spider rigging minnows.
    Good luck..............crappie cowboy
    Last edited by crappie cowboy; 09-09-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Creek Lake

I fish there a bunch in the spring and you can wear them out in May and early June.I cast a tube jig with a chartreuse tail and green head.Look for structure in open water 20 to 25 feet deep.I am told they go 40 to 50 feet deep during the hot summer. They should be coming up to the 25 foot area this month as the water cools off.Don't waste your time in 10 feet of water unless they are spawning.You can't even catch bream in less than 12 ft of water. It is a very difficult place to figure out,but don't give up its worth the learning curve.