Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ? about crappie in deep water with eggs

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? about crappie in deep water with eggs

OK, I got a question for you guys. Went out yesterday for just a short time and didn't catch many, but what we caught were really nice. Now, several of them still had some eggs and we caught them in 21' water depth over brush.

Did the weather just drive them off the beds before they finished?

This is on Toledo Bend and a picture of a few (that board is a 2x12 and the biggest is 15".
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a wierd spring for crappie, even in AL. It's as if they've started and stopped several times this year. Don't know what to make of it. I've still caught some in shallows, but they do seem to now be mostly off the beds.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Skip .....

Fishnbuddy is right - many places in the country seem to have had a screwy Spring, that has interrupted the spawn. I would think that - if you were catching these fish in 21ft of water, near the bottom or brush ... they've given up and gone into the early Summer pattern, and will probably consume the remaining eggs. But, if you were catching them in 21ft of water - but, they were 8-10ft down ... they may have just backed off from the spawning banks, and may still make a spawning attempt when the conditions stabilize. (unless, of course, the water temps have already reached above the 70's - in which case, they will probably not make any more attempts .... and they're just suspended at the 8-10ft depths because of water temps or their forage base fish are running at that depth). Where that 21ft water/brush is located will also give you a clue .... if it's close to the spawning areas - there's still a slim chance they may just be backed off. But, if the spot is out in the middle of the lake, a large creek, or on the main channels ... chances are they've given up and are settling into the Summer pattern. That's just IMHO, though. Best thing you can do, is go back and try that spot again ... luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

I was fishing over brush pile about 10-12 feet down. Water temp (surface) is now over 80 and I have been catching them in 18-22 feet of water for about 3-4 weeks.

This spot is 21' deep and the brush comes all the way up to about 10'. I had no throw backs at all. They were slow, but nice size for sure.

Indeed a strange Spring!

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing as Moose. Here up North the crappie can spawn in water as deep as 20 feet in the lakes with clear water. Our spawn last well over a month so you can catch fish on the banks and catch fish out in deeper water that have yet to move in to spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually here on Toledo Bend we usually can catch crappie about 3-4 months in 6' or less water depth. I usually have almost to June and can start as early as Feb.

It has been a different year for me to say the least!

Peak Vise Dealer

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thos wercought in 7 ft. of water around a dock with a lot of sunken brush .
    they had eggs in them
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned a bunch yesterday that came out of 12-18 ft of water.Over half had eggs but they were like hard jelly. I agree with crappiepappy-think their goin into summer pattern,and recyling the eggs. Good Fishin To Ya!!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

This same thing is happening in Lake Barkley in Kentucky. I live on the lake and get to fish four or five times a week. I am still catching crappie in 12-17ft of water full of eggs, suspended over brush, not far from preferred spawning areas. I believe there will be a rush to the shallows in the next week, but then I could be wrong, but I will be there waiting for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Been on the lakes for the last 4 days in a row. Catching fish at every depth. This sure has been a crazy spring. Crappie, Bass and bluegill all spawning at the same time.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap