Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall Is In The Air

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Fall Is In The Air

Hello my fellow fishing friends. The bite is comming back down here in TX, where we have had extreme heat with no rain. Can someone tell me what the Crappie will start doing as the water cools? I figure they will start to gorge themselves for winter. What will they start to do and at what water temp. will they start to do it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what the crappie are doing here right now but you can definitely feel cooler temps in the morning hours. I'd love to think summer is on it's way out but....I know better! I wished it'd cool down into highs in the 70's though. Now that'd feel like fall was here.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Where are you from? The bite never leaves down here. The fish will be where they've been all summer, and they may move a little shallower until the water gets into the 60's.
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for the cool down. It is still hot here. But it won't be long.

Post Thanks / Like

We fish Granger near Taylor. We always have good luck also. When we had all those days over 100 the fish didn't bite that well. Anyway I was referring to what they will do in the fall temps. I am sure there has to be a pattern to what they do.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

They will start to move into the secondary creek chanels and stack up. When the temp gets around 60 degrees they will move shallow. About the same time that the Small Mouth bite starts to gear up head for the docks and start shooting them. Most docks deep water docks will have brush around them and you will be able to pick them up around the same brush in 6 to 12 foot of water that produce good crappie in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Crappie Dave. That is the information I needed. We had 34 keepers last Sunday in just 5ft. of water. The water temp was 84. I was just not sure what they do when the cool weather comes.