Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping shad alive

Post Thanks / Like

Default keeping shad alive

OK I know it is very hard to do, but I have a 14 gallon bait tank that keeps minnows alive all night long as long as I have it hooked to the battery, but does anybody have any suggestions on how to keep shad scooped out of the lake alive in the tank?

Post Thanks / Like

You need a round tank with some sort of filter on it. Shad beat themselves to death in a square tank. Also, they shed scales. If you don't have an aerator with a filter screen or something similar to filter out the scales, they suffocate on them. At least this is what I have been told by guys who use them for catfish. Personally, they are so hard to keep alive on a hook, I don't find them worth the trouble of trying to catch them then keep them alive. Bait shop minnows of similar size work just fine.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are shad harder to keep alive than blue back herring?!?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    You need a round tank with some sort of filter on it. Shad beat themselves to death in a square tank. Also, they shed scales. If you don't have an aerator with a filter screen or something similar to filter out the scales, they suffocate on them. At least this is what I have been told by guys who use them for catfish. Personally, they are so hard to keep alive on a hook, I don't find them worth the trouble of trying to catch them then keep them alive. Bait shop minnows of similar size work just fine.
    What he said. I took a piece of vinyl from old garage door insulation, cut it to height, made a circle with it and put it in my live well. Perfect oval, no corner for them to swim into. My bait well also has a recirculator and overnight, I leave both on. Lots of air and lots of fresh water. Have kept mullet alive as well this way in salt.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Are shad harder to keep alive than blue back herring?!?
    butch, i wouldnt turn around for the difference. you gonna need a filtered, aerated tank for either.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc View Post
    OK I know it is very hard to do, but I have a 14 gallon bait tank that keeps minnows alive all night long as long as I have it hooked to the battery, but does anybody have any suggestions on how to keep shad scooped out of the lake alive in the tank?
    one thing that would help if you taking em straight out of the lake. shake em from the net into a five gallon bucket for a few minutes. they will loose a lot of poop and scales that wont be transfered to your tank. but if you dont have a filtered, aerated oval or round tank, you battin you head against the wall. youd do better using big bass shiners instead if you wanting live bait.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Even in an aerated, round tank ....

if you intend on keeping Shad/Herring for very long ... you might also want to consider this product : Bass Pro Shops Outdoors Online: Offering the best in Fishing, Hunting and Outdoor Products

(link is for product identification only, and not necessarily an endorsement of BPS as the only place to purchase this item from. Local fishing tackle stores may also have this product, or similar ones, that may be cheaper. You'd just have to factor in the cost of gas vs S/H )

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    if you intend on keeping Shad/Herring for very long ... you might also want to consider this product : Bass Pro Shops Outdoors Online: Offering the best in Fishing, Hunting and Outdoor Products

(link is for product identification only, and not necessarily an endorsement of BPS as the only place to purchase this item from. Local fishing tackle stores may also have this product, or similar ones, that may be cheaper. You'd just have to factor in the cost of gas vs S/H )

.... cp

Just bought a bottle of this stuff. I will try it next chance I get.

Post Thanks / Like

can also use kosher salt. Putting them in a bucket before tank helps as suggested above. Definitely round tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Shad-Keeper works great...Careful with the rock salt when you have a mix of shad shinners..and...minnows...................You'll burn thier little butts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast