Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use flys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use flys

I mean like with a flyrod. There has been a mayfly hatch on and off for almost 2 month at the pond I fish. Fish sipping the top and I would toss a bait in the mix and do pretty well. Nothing yesterday. But the fish were going nuts. So, duh, I took the flyrod out. Hooked the biggst crappie I have ever seen at this pond. I've caught a few 16+ inch fish there and when I was pulling it through the weeds it had its mouth open and I thought it was a largemouth. Had a brown mayfly on about a size 14 or 16 and as he was in the weeds right in front of me spitting the fly at me he turned sideways. Was sort of flopping in the weeds befor he left. I just about jumped in after him. May have been one of the 20 inch fish I have heard storys about. They wern't hitting on the top I didn't catch any till the fly got wet and started to sink. Any thoughts on an emerger or nymph. This really screws up all my big bait big fish theorys.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a fly rod but have never used it. I have tied flies the hair or artificial fiber and caught pan fish using a bobber or split shot. Other than that, I've tied up some 1/32 oz. and 1/16 oz. crystal flash jigs, attached a small plastic frog for action and casting weight, and clobbered all panfish species.

This slider-type grub has also caught hundreds of crappie this spring!

Ever since I bought a good vice for 20 bucks, I've tied many flies, trebles and jigs easily. In my opinion, you can't beat the subtle flutter of a streamer or hair jig for any species (pike and bass included).

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught several crappie on flies using a fly rod. True story... I had been thinking about getting a fly rod for a long time, but hesitated. A friend of mine took the plunge first. We were fishing a pond. He was using a small white fly / jig (don't remember for certain) on his fly rod. I was using a ultralight spinning rod/reel. He caught about 18 crappie to my 3 bluegill. I bought a fly rod shortly after that...

Go to http://flyanglersonline.com and click on features on the left, then to the panfish and entomology archives. Some good stories and good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Senkosam: I couldn't see your pics and would be interested in seeing them. Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    That is our general approach, FF'ing them. When they are looking for bugs, like you saw, we have done well on soft hackles and other wet fly emergers. They seem fond if #10 or so woolybuggers (maybe damsel nymph immis?). When searching we like to tandem a 1"-1 1/2" surf-candie (minnow immi) and a dark woolybugger together and retrieve at differing depths till they (crappie) are found.
    When the fish are IN the brush and verticle presentation is a must, there is more effecient gear......but for some of us......?
    .....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee s.
    David,
    That is our general approach, FF'ing them. When they are looking for bugs, like you saw, we have done well on soft hackles and other wet fly emergers. They seem fond if #10 or so woolybuggers (maybe damsel nymph immis?). When searching we like to tandem a 1"-1 1/2" surf-candie (minnow immi) and a dark woolybugger together and retrieve at differing depths till they (crappie) are found.
    When the fish are IN the brush and verticle presentation is a must, there is more effecient gear......but for some of us......?
    .....lee s.
    lee......I have a ton of woolies, mostly black and dark green. About 75% are bead heads that I tie myself, had to have some weight for swift water in AR. Do you use a weighted tip for the deeper fish, or use weighted flys? Have you ever tried a fly called "crappie candy?" I ran across it on a fly fishing site and tied up a few, but haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, but it looks good. If you're interested, I will post a photo or a link to the site if I can find it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wanted to try a flyrod, but the areas where I fish are all too overgrown to allow you enough room.

-S

Post Thanks / Like

labill,
    We usually use our line to attain depth, either using sinktips or using shooting heads. We usually tie our bugs "neutral" in weight unless we want a "jiggy" presentation, then we weight them. Which is sometimes quite necessary. None of this is really crappie specific, but a general approach that seems to work well for us for most any "big fish eats little fish" situation. The crappie specifics would probably be more like "where" and "what size" bugs you use. :-)
    After all that bull, we do weight some bugs especially to hang under a bass popper at times, like now at L. Nicascio. Seems sometimes they want it so slow that most anything will sink unless it is "held" up. :-)
    Isn't the crappie candy on FAOL somewhere.....like Rick's area (Panfish)? Grand bug for sure.
    Do you fish moving water? Just may need to pick your brain for application on the S.F. delta here. Much tidal water.
    ....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

labill,
    We usually use our line to attain depth, either using sinktips or using shooting heads. We usually tie our bugs "neutral" in weight unless we want a "jiggy" presentation, then we weight them. Which is sometimes quite necessary. None of this is really crappie specific, but a general approach that seems to work well for us for most any "big fish eats little fish" situation. The crappie specifics would probably be more like "where" and "what size" bugs you use. :-)
    After all that bull, we do weight some bugs especially to hang under a bass popper at times, like now at L. Nicascio. Seems sometimes they want it so slow that most anything will sink unless it is "held" up. :-)
    Isn't the crappie candy on FAOL somewhere.....like Rick's area (Panfish)? Grand bug for sure.
    Do you fish moving water? Just may need to pick your brain for application on the S.F. delta here. Much tidal water.
    ....lee s.

You're right lee, the Crappie Candy was on FAOL. I started fly fishing when I was a kid, mostly for bass and at times bluegills and redears (shellcrackers depending on where you're from.) Back then all my fishing buds thought I was crazy. That changed with time, soon all of them were doing it. I lived in central Arkansas for 14 years, and that's where I fished moving water. The White River, The Buffalo, and the Little Red were my favorites. Great fisheries all. In fact, as you probably know, the Little Red holds the world record for the biggest Brown Trout @ forty some odd lbs. I then took my flyfishing to some of the local lakes for crappie, and did well on the spawning beds using the wooly boogers.
    Don't know much about tidal waters, except it turns the fish on at specific points during the rise, peak and fall. By the way, where is the SF delta? Would it be South Fla.?

Post Thanks / Like

labill,
    ....lee s.
    About weighted bugs, couple of years ago they changed the regs on a river I fish here for steelhead. I'm amout 15 min from the North Umpqua river and hate messing with the big weighted bugs anyway, and boy were they getting heavy. Pizzed a lot of guys off. We were fishing low water ties on 4 and 5/0 hooks so you could say they were weighted. I havn't been able to get out the last few days but I think your right about a woobugger on the crappies. I may try the "Nightcrawler" of all flys. The gold ribbed hare's ear. Never caught a chinook one one but everything else that swims seems to like them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast