Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trolling question

Opossum Valley Alabama (Only in Walker County will you find a place like this)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling question

OK. I have never done any trolling whatsoever. However, the reading I have done suggest that the body of water in which we fish would be perfect. The channel is about 30 ft and the fish will suspend over structure in the 15 to 20 ft range. does this sound like where one would want to troll?? And this goes for miles and miles. OK now I dont know jack about this so any info would be appreciated. When you have 4 rods out each side of the boat, I know you have the longest rods toward the front and the shorter ones toward the rear. Right?? OK lets say you catch a fish on the outside most rod.. Is this the rod where you have your deepest crankbait?? And do you stop the boat to reel him in or do ou just keep going and get the fish in the best you can without getting tangled?? Getting setup doesnt seem to be that bad is the actual trolling that I have Questions about. Any info or articles would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like you are on the right tracklots of folks do it diffence ways,I never stop my boat to land a fish unless it a big old cat or bass something I don't want to break my line and lose my bait.Most of the time if it's a crappie it will turn up on it side and just ski right in to you never tangle up your lines.Also if I am trolling crankbaits I only use four rods thats two out each side,that way Its a little easy to handle if you happen to get into some brush or something:D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming that you are slow trolling for crappie w/ bow mount motor? If so you will usually troll .6-1.5 mph or there abouts. I pulse my motor to gain some action on the baits, so when I hook a fish I drop off the trigger to tend to it.

The blacks up here usually put up a pretty good tussle, so I don't take the chance of wrapping up lines. The diff. up here is limits on the lines which makes it easier to stay clear of other lines anyway.

As far as pole lengths and depths...I run longer poles out the front due to the clear waters we fish, and the depths are all over until I figure out which is getting the most hits. Hope that heps some.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched a lot of videos on pulling crank baits (have pulled them quite a bit myself as well) and they all say the same thing, use the same type crank bait on all your poles. For example, if you're using Bandit 300 series crank baits put a 300 series on all your poles, don't mix in a 100 or 200 series crank bait.

When you catch a crappie it almost always comes to the surface, then you just surf it in. I don't stop but I might slow down a bit.

Go to this link and watch the episode on pulling crank baits.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks. thats just what I was looking for. I intend on using the Kent driscoll method. This is my plan and tell me what you think. Constructive critisizm is welcome. I have a john boat with a 25. It idles very smooth so it was my plan to have 3 rod holders on each side of the center bench. 3 rods on each side of different lengths. I will sit at engine and drive while my son sits on the bench watching rods. I plan on using the 25 to troll at idle speed. does anyone think this is too fast. Otherwise I will use the trolling motor. Tomorrow morning will be my first trip. The deep bite is slow on minnows right now so Im hoping this will work. Ive been contemplating this for years so I am excited.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definatly use the trolling motor, especially at the depth that you are wanting to reach.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got off Smith Shum, got skunked again.
    My GPS shows my 25 Mariner/15' Jon boat idiling at 2.2 Mph.
    That may be a bit fast.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, thud. You know whats sad is that we have all this technology and alot of people(not just you) go to Smith all the time and strike out. My grandfather started me fishing there with only a flasher and minimal and I do mean minimal amount of lures. And we always caught fish. The only thing that is different between then and now is STRIPERS. Im no scientist but that will raise alot of eyebrows when you go talking about the striper vs. crappie/bass thing on Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shum8 View Post
    Wow thanks. thats just what I was looking for. I intend on using the Kent driscoll method. This is my plan and tell me what you think. Constructive critisizm is welcome. I have a john boat with a 25. It idles very smooth so it was my plan to have 3 rod holders on each side of the center bench. 3 rods on each side of different lengths. I will sit at engine and drive while my son sits on the bench watching rods. I plan on using the 25 to troll at idle speed. does anyone think this is too fast. Otherwise I will use the trolling motor. Tomorrow morning will be my first trip. The deep bite is slow on minnows right now so Im hoping this will work. Ive been contemplating this for years so I am excited.
    If you are going to use 6 rods be careful when you make a turn so you don't get your lines tangled. I usually troll with 2 on each side and still get some tangles.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast