Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor Thrust ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor Thrust ???

Do you guys think a 55 lb 12v trolling motor is enough for a 17' SeaArk? I have a 12/24v 78 lb. thrust on it now but rarely use it on 24v and usually i use it on 12v and the 1 speed for spider rigging and it runs about 1.7 mph. Thanks

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Moter

I ran a 55lb 12vt. MK on a 17ft. lowe for 3 years and never was short of power --- I fish about 5-6 hrs when I go
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17' Crestliner crappie boat with a 55 lb. Terrova. I just put it on a few months ago and wish now that I would have gone up to the next size. Only reason is that when I decide to upgrade to a larger boat this one probably won't be sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepster, how does it move your crestliner? Do you use just use one battery or two in parallel? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

80# Maxxum on a 18' Crestliner does me great, but I fish some tailwaters and rivers, it has a variable speed control that I can turn way down for lake fishing. I can fish for 12 hours a day, troll for hours and have yet to ware the batteries down yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just curious...

if that will be sufficient on those windy days? I have a 70# Motorguide on my 17.5 Tracker and on windy days I'm glad for the higher thrust.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine that Sea Ark is heavier than my 17 1/2 foot Alumicraft, but the 55 lb thrust I have moves my boat very well even when I am loaded down. But more thrust for you might be a good thing. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Post Thanks / Like

if i had the high thrust 12/24 i would NEVER EVER even consider going backwards to a 12 volt trolling motor. of course i have a 36 volt minn kota 101 now. most of the time i dont need that much thrust. but its better to not need it and have it than need it and not have it. but thats just my opinion. if i was going to buy a new unit i would buy the most thrust i could afford to buy. i might even cut out some other extra to have the money to get more thrust.

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get as much power you can afford because you never know when you'll need it. The one thing I suggest is get a motor with infinant speed controll. That means you can set the speed at any level not just 1,2,3,4,or5. Sometimes 2 is too slow and 3 is too fast at times you need a speed inbetween. Also the straight 24v system will last longer because it uses power from both batteries at the same time in small amounts.
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 12- 24 on a 16 ft Jon and on windy days I needed the 24volts, I would go 12 24 0r straight 24 you ccan always run them on low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast