Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold Front Crappies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Front Crappies

Well here in NE Kansas we just got our first fall cold front. Yesterday it was in the low 90's and today its in the upper 50's

So what will the crappie do? I really have struggled the past couple years since really getting into crappie fishing during the early fall season. Winter, Spring & Summer is good and so is late fall once the water is in the 40's and low 50's, but those days when the water temps are going from low 80s and falling to the 50's over a couple months I really struggle. I have not been able to find a consistent pattern on them over the past couple years. Some days they are deep and others shallow.

What types of techniques/tactics do you favor with the first of fall upon your doorstep?

Post Thanks / Like

Head for the creeks and look for shad, don't be afraid to fish too shallow.

Post Thanks / Like

What slipbobber said. I also do well in late September and October fishing the small rivers which feed into our reservoir.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Also, cold fronts tend push them tight to cover. You might have to really get into the brush or right against timber to get them during and after cold fronts. And slow down, maybe even downsize if they don't cooperate. After the front passes and the cool down begins, they'll start making their way to the shallows to get fat before winter. That's when things get fun!
    Wow, 90 degrees to 50 degrees......that's harsh. 50 had to feel like winter with that kind of drop. I'd take it right now though. Here in southern Ohio it's been 90 plus with high humidity the past week plus, and I for one have had enough. Bring on the fall.....I'm ready.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys....guess I will just have to keep after it. Yeah the weather change was harsh. It will be interesting to see what it did to the water temp. Going out on Friday and hope to find a few.

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Man I cant wait for a cold front:D

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We had that front also, just the begining of things to come. During this time you have to be on the move because the fish are on the move. Slipbobber said look for shad and that's the key. Look shallow and mid depths they won't go real deep until the water temp gets to the 50's and even then look for shad. The last thing use Berkley Crappie Nibbles they will help even when the fish don't want to bite.
    GoodLuck
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

In the fall we fish a lot of areas until we find them. Every year seems to be slighly different (Example - lake levels have a lot to do with it as last year my home lake was down 5-8 ft below normal) but once you find where they hangout they tend to stay close by. We fast troll to cover a lot of water. Sometimes they are in deeper water, other times in 5ft, but there is always some structure, hump, ledge, ect. close by. I am ready to go. Only work holds me back.

I remember last year we found them in one particular cove (not a big cove either) that had a variety of depth and structure and we caught big fish there right up thru the winter. We did not catch any small fish. It was great. Off course over time other boats saw what was happening and we had company. But the colder it gets the fewer boats there are out.

See ya on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. That initial cold front brought the water temps down 10 degrees to around 70 but man it turned the fish on. Catching some real big slabs in standing timber in 3-6 ft of water. But that was last weekend. This weekend its all rain her in KS. Not near as much as our friends south and hope they all are ok, but we are getting the remnants of Lowell and Ike so while the ran really sucks we are fortunate to not have to deal with all of that.