Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Quick trip with my boy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick trip with my boy

Was going to take my boy out and try our luck at some crappie. Got down to the store and they were sold out of minnows So I bought some worms and we headed down to "our spot". The bite was slow but he managed to catch about 6 small bluegill/pearch. I tried every lure in my box gave up and started fishing with him. I caught about 4 small ones as well.

Are these fish good eating? I have caught them all my life but always throw em back. Thats what we did tonight mainly because they were so small. Would be fun to get into a good school of bigger ones.

Glen

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Bluegill/perch

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC
    Was going to take my boy out and try our luck at some crappie. Got down to the store and they were sold out of minnows So I bought some worms and we headed down to "our spot". The bite was slow but he managed to catch about 6 small bluegill/pearch. I tried every lure in my box gave up and started fishing with him. I caught about 4 small ones as well.

Are these fish good eating? I have caught them all my life but always throw em back. Thats what we did tonight mainly because they were so small. Would be fun to get into a good school of bigger ones.

Glen
    GlenC, if you ask me the best 2 fish to eat or crappie and bluegill. Since I am on a crappie board I will put the crappie at #1 and the bluegill at #2 but truth be told I catch more bluegill/bream than I do crappie so I eat more of them. I like to fillet mine and deep fry them but alot of the older generation like to scale them and head and gut them and deep fry them either way they are excelent table fare!! Keep a couple next trip and try them out. Let me know how you like them. My bet is you will quit throwing them back!! :D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

haha...I probably would have kept a couple tonight but they were just to small. We were fishing from the bank in a rocky area....Is that the best place? Ive been told the crappie are good in this spot as well. Have yet to find out. Last summer I caught a few small bass and a couple small catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill and Shellcrackers (Redear) are great eating. Filleted or headless, cleaned and scaled. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the gills have my vote for #2. Good Fishin To Ya!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com