PDA

View Full Version : New boat woes............crap

Cane Pole
08-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Got some goodies mounted (Crappiestalker did the work) this afternoon on my boat, but I encountered a manufacturer screw up. Three front pedestal plate nuts missing on the deck inside. You can just lift the screws right out of the hole. Will have to remove the top deck for access. There is no access panel to the front pedestal plates.

Second, the trash screen on the engine lower unit is missing. Out of box failure from Yamaha. If this hand not been caught by Crappiestalker, the engine could have sucked up some bad dodo.

Third, the boat is full of aluminum shavings. The crap is everywhere. If I had run the bilge pump, shavings would have ate the pump up. Seems to me they could have cleaned the crap up at the factory. This is factory crap, not dealer crap. This is just lack of pride and laziness in workmanship. Makes my butt wanna dip snuff.

You all know I will bu up somebody's butt come Tuesday.:mad:

Pic of transducer mount. SI and flasher ducers. Wiring not complete.

Pete, I see what you mean about the angle of the traducers now.:)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/Tlewis38344/War%20Eagle/IMG_0865.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/Tlewis38344/War%20Eagle/IMG_0864.jpg

Crappie Reaper
08-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Tom, I think the shavings thing would be a given for most boat manufactuers. In the Aircraft game, it's unacceptable as one little shaving could create major problem in time. The old Aluminum boat that I bought and am very slowly revamping, had several bits of shavings, rivets, rivet heads, etc. I'm sure they have training to eliminate the problems, but, they obviously have no inspectors, or don't care about such things since they figure no one will ever see them. Give them an earfull and make sure you let them know how many people will be influenced here within C.C about how you are treated. Good words about a product spread slowly. Bad words spread like wildfire. Let us know what happens.

zappaf19
09-01-2008, 07:30 AM
When I was breaking in my Yama 250 the motors fuse holder melted from someone putting in 100amp fuses where 60s were suppose to be. (had to use the trolling motor to get back to the ramp) I dropped my oil cap and had to remove the oil tank and plate that holds it and it was full of new tie raps and shavings etc. Glad those did not get in one of my pumps. I guess it's like buying a new car. But heck for 43K you would think they could do better.
Bill

frank lawhead
09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I,ll look for the smoke comin out of the hills tuesday---:):)

centerdriver
09-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Was looking at the angle at which they are mounted. It won't really matter for the depth/flasher, but your SI could throw you off 10'+/- at 20' out from the boat. Easy fix though.
As far as shavings and stuff, every new boat is just about the same condition when it leaves the factory. I have found that the dealer prep crew, the guys that install all your add on goodies, should clean up things and get rid of the shavings and stuff. After all, I think there is a charge called dealer prep or something along that line. They are charging you to have a clean, ready to go to the lake boat when you take it off the lot.

Cane Pole
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Looks are deceiving. The ducers are mounted parallel with/to respect of the waterline.Both have a 2 degree nose up attitude and both are about a 1/2 inch below the waterline with respect to the hull bottom. This is a good starting point. I can tweak when and if I ever get it in the water.

Point taken about dealer prep. I will let the all know about it. Trust me.

Slipped Cork
09-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Give em cane!

toothpick
09-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Work ethic and pride seem to have gone in everything. A few of us old dogs still believe in doing it right the first time. One would think the Dealer rigging people would notice these things even if the manufacturer didn't. Like Centerdriver said, you paid Dealer Prep Charge I am sure. Give them an ear full.

T_om
09-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Work ethic and pride seem to have gone in everything. A few of us old dogs still believe in doing it right the first time. One would think the Dealer rigging people would notice these things even if the manufacturer didn't. Like Centerdriver said, you paid Dealer Prep Charge I am sure. Give them an ear full.

The dealer "rigging people" couldn't care less if there were an actual dead body stuffed under there as long as it did not directly keep them from attaching the price sticker... which is about all the "dealer prep" they do nowadays.

Tom

centerdriver
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Sorry Cane Pole, did not realize the transom has an angle on it. Your right about setting it at the proper angle specially for the SI.
I had my dealer deliver my boat since it was just over 90 miles and he kept saying it was ready (3 times) and I went down to get it. The first time, trailer was not in for it yet, wrong troll motor mounted on the second trip, next was bimini was installed backward. He offered to deliver it and I took him up on it. By the time it got to me, it was 11 pm and I just signed for it. Next day, I went out to look at my brand new CC and the stickers were still on the engine cowl, tape on the sides of the boat in several places from the plastic it was in from the factory, Had dirt and mud in the drain chanels around the seat storage areas and so on. I hooked back up to it and took it all the way back. I unhooked in front of the office (right where all the new customers had to walk by) and told him this was completely unacceptable. He told me to give him 2 hours, go to lunch (on him) and take our time. When we came back, it looked showroom condition. Spic and span.
Later when we put it in the lake, 2 days later, I noticed it had a full tank of fuel. I expected 5 gal, but the 46 gal tank was full.
Guess if you complain to the right person (owner) you finally get what you want and then some.
Dusty

lhumphre
09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
CP--What are those two things to the left of the trasnducers with a screen on them..Just wondering as I ahve never seen any before..thanks

Got some goodies mounted (Crappiestalker did the work) this afternoon on my boat, but I encountered a manufacturer screw up. Three front pedestal plate nuts missing on the deck inside. You can just lift the screws right out of the hole. Will have to remove the top deck for access. There is no access panel to the front pedestal plates.

Second, the trash screen on the engine lower unit is missing. Out of box failure from Yamaha. If this hand not been caught by Crappiestalker, the engine could have sucked up some bad dodo.

Third, the boat is full of aluminum shavings. The crap is everywhere. If I had run the bilge pump, shavings would have ate the pump up. Seems to me they could have cleaned the crap up at the factory. This is factory crap, not dealer crap. This is just lack of pride and laziness in workmanship. Makes my butt wanna dip snuff.

You all know I will bu up somebody's butt come Tuesday.:mad:

Pic of transducer mount. SI and flasher ducers. Wiring not complete.

Pete, I see what you mean about the angle of the traducers now.:)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/Tlewis38344/War%20Eagle/IMG_0865.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/Tlewis38344/War%20Eagle/IMG_0864.jpg

luvjign
09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Tom, does that boat have a step hull?

csndgrss
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM
ihumphre, I think those are the livewell intakes....to fill the weels, if it has two. I know my seaark has the same screens on the intakes for both livewells.

On another note, I have a 90 merc(01 model) and when troubleshooting low water pressure out of the "P" hole...there is no screen on the lower unit intakes. Does any one else have a 01'ish 90 merc and does it have screens on the lower unit.

Cane Pole...good looking boat!! I bought mine new and the motor didn't p at all the first time I put it in the water. I took it back to the dealer and they found packing styrofoam still in the bypass hose. Get 'em heck!!

Cane Pole
09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
CP--What are those two things to the left of the trasnducers with a screen on them..Just wondering as I ahve never seen any before..thanks

water intake screens. Keeps trash out of the inlet water.

Cane Pole
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Tom, does that boat have a step hull?

No step. I want own another step hull nothin".:eek:

stinger1
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
same thing happen to me canepole, when i bought my new 2006 lowe crappie rig stinger 175, metal shavings everwhere ,stripped screws ,carpet coming loose in lots of areas . e-mailed lowe boats directly , had me a nice chat the next day with head of p.r i told him i don't know how they do it at lowe, but my pride in workmanship,on my job was not a thing i took lightly like they do at lowe .boy he was really doing some double talk .about a hour later dealer called told me bring my boat back they got every thing right .the next week i got a new fitted mooring cover from the factory . he he!! bye the way nice job riggin . and nice looking boat..d.c

blueball
09-01-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah my fisher prohawk 170 i bought this year was full of metal shavings too under the floor i guess none of them care that much anymore

centerdriver
09-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Look, bottom line the way I see it. You pay good, hard earned money for your pride and joy. When I find shoddy work or evidence that no one cared what I hooked up to after the deal was signed, I am not going to rest till everyone gets contacted and things made right. That means from the salesman right on through the dealer CEO to the company PR person. Someone, somewhere will see that I will not be messed with and with the amount of forums on the net now, word of mouth could really hurt a good rep. More often than not, only about 4 calls will have to be made. What really burnes me is those idiots who think I will not press to test and get done what I need done from the get go. Oh well, will get offin my soap box now and say good night. You will get it the way you want it or let him know that his business will be getting a bad rep. sure things will come around.
Dusty
P.S. If not, just let us know about it. hehe

old fuzzy
09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
hammer em c/p,,,nothing but pure laziness,,,,iam sure that you paid a rigging fee and 1 part of it is to detail the boat before delivery,,,, fire them up!!!!

GRIZZ
09-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Here, borrow my grizzly suit. GRR Lazy people are tasty.

ShilohRed
09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Tom I am with you. We pay the price for a new boat. And what the dealer should catch. We have to catch for them. I used to work for a boat dealer. We sold them from $12000. To 1 mil... And you can bet when the boat was dropped on the lot. One of us was in that boat. Looking to see what we could find wrong with it.
And we would find it. But also our pledge was not to allow a customer to ever find something, That we should have found. And had it fixed way before anyone got a chance to look at it.
Wish more dealers did that today. I burns my butt to see something on a boat that needs fixing by the dealer before it goes out. And there way to lazy to even look for stuff.
Pete

mistertwister
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Thing happen with my Tracker PT175. Took it to Reelfoot a couple of years ago, ended up sucking a cypress seed (a small pea sized thing) up into the livewell pump. Sounded bad and ran ok until it finally burnt the little motor out. My point........while changing the pump out, i found screws, aluminum shavings, zip ties, etc. all over the back of the boat. I had only had to bilge a couple of times to that point due to rain, but if some of that stuff had gotten into the bilge pump, it would have burnt it up too.

If i were a bettin man, all boat manufactuers have an air hose, or a shop vac in thier facilities somewhere. Couldnt take over a minute to blow that stuff out before they send it on its way. Now that i think about it, maybe when i retire i can do that.

I dont work for a car dealership, but i am sure over the years i have paid what they call "dealer prep". I think i paid something similar for my boat. Maybe thier idea of dealer prep is different. :)

Nice boat Tom. From what i have seen of your past posts, you will have that thing decked out with all electronic conveniences that are out there, and even some that are not. You do some pretty cool stuff!

Chris

crappiebum
09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Cane Pole go rip'em a new one. Make them wish they had got it right the first time. When and if I ever buy a new boat that will be inspected before I leave the dealership. Thanks for the heads up.