Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Skiff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carolina Skiff

I am looking at this boat hard and would like your opinions. Also was wondering if wind would be an issue with this boat. only draws 4 to 8 inches of water. Would also like input from anybody here that owns a Carolina skiff of any model. Thanks. CF

Carolina Skiff Boats - DLV Series
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Skiff

I just traded for a 1780 DLX last march and I love it. The only boat that is not pushed by the wind is a 3000lb bass boat, they sit so low in the water. I went for the 1780 because of the width. There is so much more room than the 1765. You can't go wrong with a Skiff. Some folks say it is too large to Crappie fish out of,but lots of folks fish from a pontoon. I also like the Suzuki engine. I have a 90hp 4 stroke, it is quiet and good on fuel. Go for it.
    It is not enough that a man should toil and provide,but that he be granted the pleasure of fishing with a friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes wind will be an issue. Boat is not very heavy and has shallow draft. They are good boats however and generally pretty sea worthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappiefarmer, looks like a mighty fine fishin machine to me!!!! Oughtta do the trick for catchin some big ole slabs!!!!
    Last edited by IceWarriorGill; 08-31-2008 at 09:25 PM.

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a J-16 with a trolling motor on the bow. Doesnt troll as well as a bass boat but dont believe it's expected to since it is a flat bottom boat. Takes a little beating on rough water too. I love the looks of the DLV series boats. Should take the water good. Still going to be a rougher ride than a V bottom heavier boat such as a big bass boat but should also be alot better on gas since it rides so shallow. Plenty of room, can be built with add-ons from Carolina Skiff with what you would want on your boat. Go with the widest boats for the most room. Would also be the most stable when walking around inside. My personal preference would be the 19 footers minimum.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 1765 DLX earlier this year and I'm tickled with it!

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carolina Skiff

I worked for Wateree Marina in South Carolina and sold many Carolina Skiffs. Wateree Marina was an authorized dealer for Carolina Skiff. I owned and fished for crappie from a number of Carolina Skiffs.

The flat bottom series are affected by the wind more than the DLV series. The DLV series has a different bottom design; however, in some DLV models the sides are higher.

Carolina Skiff is the number one selling fiberglass boat line in the USA and the quality is as good as it gets in the Marine Industry. Keep in mind, that the Marine Industry has problems as evidenced by some of the posts on the forum today.

I now own the best boat I have ever had for crappie fishing in the wind- Triton 196 TA. Unfortunately, Triton has discontinued production on the model.

If you need to call me on the Skiffs, my number is 336 622 0092.

Monk Welcome to MonksCrappie.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monkscrappie; 09-01-2008 at 08:27 AM.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Photos of last two Skiffs

Check out photos of last Two Skiffs!

Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carolina Skiff

If you want to buy a Carolina Skiff, contact Matt Mabe at Chat-Lee in Sanford, NC. His number is 919 775 7259. Chat-Lee is the largest Carolina Skiff dealer in the USA.

Matt is also a crappie fisherman and understands your requirements.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 19ft skiff. Love it. Sometimes the wind frustrates me, but 95% of the time it works great. Had a 19ft DLV, but had some financial problems and sold it for $500 more than I paid for it. My two buddies in florida have one and they wouldn't have any other type of boat. We fish freshwater and salt. In salt, we have gone 20-25 miles out of Bayport to find grouper, etc. It has more stable room than most boats. Had a stroke 3 years ago and sometimes I am a little wobbly, but feel safe in my skiff. Use to have an aluminum 16' and it was hard to stand up. Will post pictures of my skiff later to share with you.

For the safety of you and your family, it is the best investment for chasing those slabs.

I purchased mine used off of boattrader.com in Jacksonville Florida. The original owner was from LA and he created some nice additions.

The main problem you will have with the skiff, is the height of the front deck. Hard to step up or down. The original owner created a step, this helped, but with nothing to hold on, it was difficult. I had a boat tower mfg create and install for me a handrail for $100. This solved the problem.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast