Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Black and White question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black and White question

Question... Is the Black and White Crappie as different, as the large mouth to the small mouth trash fish? I have been cathing mostly White Crappie for several years. Then beginning last year I caught a few of the larger Black Crappies. Never caught more than a dozenon any one trip. Is there a difference in location, style of catching, or baits? Or is it the lake just has fewer Black Crappie than Whites?

Crappie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The black crappie tends to prefer clearer water than the white crappie does. Its diet, as an adult, also tends to be less dominated by other fishes than that of the white crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I catch black and whites off same brush pile usualy 10 % or so are blacks. The blacks I caught today and usually have thicker fillets on them.

Post Thanks / Like

White crappie usually switch over early in their life to eating minnows and small fish. As they grow larger the fish they feed on also increase in size.

Black crappie usually continue to feed on bug larvae and small crawfish as adults. So if fishing for one "type" of crappie your jigs should be the correct size and type.