PDA

View Full Version : That Darn Gustav is coming for a visit here

skiptomylu
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Can't believe they are already talking a mandatory evacuation of Orange/Beaumont area. That is 90 miles South of me, but people up here are going nuts!

Last update puts it coming withing about 30 miles of my house.

We are stocking up on gas, propane etc. etc. and time to batten down the hatches.

Skip

shipahoy41
08-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Be safe Skip. I worked in the cleanup after hurricanes Ivan and also Katrina. I was helping an adjuster in New Orleans, Fort Walton Beach, Pensacola and Destin Florida. Some of those images I will never be able to forget especially those from New Orleans
9th ward on General Diaz Blvd and Ponchetrain.

This one may even be a category 5 when it hits Monday night!!!!! You are in my prayers!

smoothlures
08-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Will be praying everyone makes it through Skip. Keep your head down.

sac-a-lait
08-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey I hate to wish it to go to another area BUT we have had our share over this way and in April my neighborhood was hit by a Tornado...I'm tired of hearing transformers blowing up and seeing the trees blowing sideways...and being without power...To borrow a line from Robert Duvall..."I love the smell of generators in the morning"

Hey Skip just from experience of HAVING TO STAND IN LINE TO BUY Gas or use an ATM or anything...Get some gas in YOUR BOAT. Fill it up and use the gas out of there as people can/will steal if from your car. Get water from your tap NOW while the powers on. We had no water after Katrina for weeks. No power...No ATM's...etc

The only silver lining is as an outdoorsmen I own a ton of 12V lights, TV, radio and BIG batteries. I ran lights at night in the bedroom when I wanted some piece and quiet (from the generator) and my trolling batteries starting fading at the end of 2 weeks. Get ready for a curfew and a POLICE state if it hits you. Get what you need now WITHOUT panic. I see these idiots lining up for gas now and I think to myself, heck they will use it all up before the storm gets here anyway. So just cause you see a line doesn't mean you have to get in it. Kroger was open after about a week but they had limited selections (imagine that)...I felt like I was in a third world country. I never imagined I would be standing in line to get ICE or GAS (well most of us were). If you have a home/friends to go to up North of the coast HEAD ON OUT. Otherwise get a little gas, a generator, a lot of beer, some oil and hush puppy mix and eat fish everyday like we did. At the end of the cleanup up here I already had gas in my boat and was glad as they limited your purchase to $20-$30 at most places AFTER the storm but I would go take the boat to the lake, pass by the lines, putt out to my fishing hole and get some fresh fish.

skiptomylu
08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes got the truck full and the boat half full and 6- 5 gallon cans of gas for the generator. Some propane some Coleman stove fuel. We learned from Rita when we were without Elect for 11 days and no water for 7 days.

Filling up a big tub with water for flushing.

Skip

GrouseFly
08-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope the weather miss's yea Skip but if it don't you might have to live on fried fish for a few days, MAN WOULD'NT THAT BE BAD!!! We had a winter ice/snow storm once that shut everything down for several days. We cooked on everything from a gas grill/coleman stove/ to the fire place and beans on top of the kerosene heater. You can always make do if you just use yea head...lol. Good Luck and Hang On....

sac-a-lait
08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey Skip, When I was a kid growing up in Pensacola I can remember leaving there several times due to storms but I can, to this day, remember my parents filling up the tubs when we rode one out when I was around 10 years old. I didn't do it last time as never thought we would be down so long but if that baby even thinks about coming up this way, I'm filling up all the tubs AND a 55 gal drum with water for flushing, etc. I knew that 55gal minnow tank would come in handy during the summer when it's too hot to keep minnows. Certainly can use it to flush with. I like Chinese food and the first order of fried rice I got AFTER Katrina never tasted so good!!!

skiptomylu
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah after Rita I had 2 big fish fries and invited anyone that wanted it. A few Sheriff Deputies and even some EMT's from New York came to eat. Both time fried over 30# of crappie filet's. Them people from New York had never heard of hush puppies, LOL! Also had never had fish fried like I did it. We had a pretty good time considering all that happened.

One of the Deputies brought us drinking water every day and boy that was nice. Also he had access to the school in town and took use a couple of time to get a shower, boy did that ever feel good.

We made due with a bunch of smoked sausage I had from my Elk and some Axis Deer too.

Skip

speckfinder
08-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Glad to see that you guys can find the silver lining

herb
08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
What speckfinder said.
Best wishes to all of you who might be in this storm's path.

skiptomylu
08-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Man this thing now is projected almost right over my house when it crosses in to Texas. Don't wish anyone else and harm, but I sure would like this one to aim some where else for sure.

Thanks guys!

Skip

sac-a-lait
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Skip I can understand your wishes. I hear that New Orleans voodo folks have put a curse out to keep the storm away from them too so at this point, all prayers from all faiths have been said, we can only see who gets to "dance with the bull".

skiptomylu
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Being told now we are to get 48 hours of torrential rains and flooding. Massive power outages.

Not looking good and projected right over my house now.

Skip

501ROD
08-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Skip,
They just upgraded this bad boy to a cat 4.I am a lineman with entergy here in ark. we are leaving monday morning for lake charles to stage.Due to the damage and conditions from the big storms it just doesn't come together very good.button down tight and good luck from AR.

skiptomylu
08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
See that 501ROD, Ugh! Thanks!

Here is a pic I made a red X as well as I could in paint to show where I live with the storm coming.
Skip
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Skip48/180114W_smB.gif

Kajun
08-31-2008, 12:51 AM
called my brother tonight who lives in my mobile home in Jennings,La...he has decided to "ride it out"..i offered evac $$ and my house in florida to evac too but they want to stay...what can ya do cept pray?

poppop
08-31-2008, 05:24 AM
good luck guys...

cook
08-31-2008, 05:38 AM
God be with you all.

gracie1goose
08-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Remember, God moves mountains. He can also stop storms. My prayers are for your safty and with you for the best.

skiptomylu
08-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Well at least it wakened some over night, but is supposed to restrengthen today so we shall see. Still coming too close to me for me to be happy. Still should get one heck of a rain and the lake needs some, but probably would prefer getting it another way.

My neighborhood has had 2 little tornado's the last 2 weeks or so. Don't need any more of them.

Skip

roybuoy
08-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Good luck Skip,be safe and prepared.Hope it spare's your area.

GRIZZ
08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Save the jigs!! Just kiddin Skip. Hang in there.

It looks like its gonna be a rough one, but at least they know what to do this time. Do you think you will be ok stayin home? I just watched a half an hour of weather.com hurricane report videos online and it looks like the country is in for a rough season. Hanna is right behind Gustov headed for the east coast and there are 2 more forming in the south Atlantic already right behind those. How hard can you get hit where you are if that thing turns into a cat 3 like they say it will by the time it hits?

skiptomylu
08-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Save the jigs!! Just kiddin Skip. Hang in there.

It looks like its gonna be a rough one, but at least they know what to do this time. Do you think you will be ok stayin home? I just watched a half an hour of weather.com hurricane report videos online and it looks like the country is in for a rough season. Hanna is right behind Gustov headed for the east coast and there are 2 more forming in the south Atlantic already right behind those. How hard can you get hit where you are if that thing turns into a cat 3 like they say it will by the time it hits?

Yeah I think we will be fine and now looking like mostly a few days of down pours so lots of flooding which I will be high and dry. I live on a small hill above the lake and the spillway will over flow long before it get to me.

If it dosen't get any stronger now it looks like we will have TS winds at worst for that part. Just feel sorry for anyone not high and dry as it's going to get bad floods around East Texas, LA. & maybe even Ark. for this week.

Thanks,

Skip

PawPaw "gene"
08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Skip, if you think you situation is bad I'll trade with you. Where that black line crosses the coast, I about 30 miles from there or at least my home is, I'm in Destin FL.
From the bayou,
"gene"

lag
08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Hang in ther man. Watch it and be safe. My oldest son lives about 60 mines northwest of Biloxi and he is preparing. Getting the generator running and storing extra gas etc. I've only been through one and it was a cat 2. That was enough for me.

IceWarriorGill
08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey Skiptomylu, just be safe down there!!! My prayers are with all you folks as you batten down the hatches and prepare to ride the storm out!!! I hope it won't be too bad and that it will miss you and yours!!!!

Limb Snagger
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Hang in there! Hope everything goes through lighter than expected but you just never know.

If you do fill the bathtubs... make sure the stopper doesn't leak. Been there... Done that.

Had a huge snow storm back in '96 and we heard they were shutting down the water plant. We filled the tub for flushing water and it was gone in about 2 hours. We had to melt snow to get by.

Good luck and get in touch with us asap after the storm.