PDA

View Full Version : Question for ALL crappie fishermen !!

Deral
08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
I am, by no means, an "expert" crappie fisherman, but I do manage to catch my fair share, except when I go out in my yellow kayak. I am fortunate to even get a nibble except when the water is stained or slightly muddy, or when I'm fishing deep.
I have been baffled by this problem ever since I got my kayak!
So now I'm wondering - -Maybe it's not me! Maybe it's the kayak!
Which leads me to my question;
Does the color of the bottom of a boat have an adverse effect on crappie fishing???
Desperately need all the help I can get!!
Deral

beagle man
08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
I see lots of yellow boats and all other colors on the water and they seem to do fine. never thought about it dont really think it would matter. be intresting to see what comes up hope you get it figured out

TnT
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
I dont think your kayak or the color of it affects the bite...I have had those kind of days with my boat also. But I would think fishing out of a kayak would have to take a different approach to what I am used to, which is trolling. Wish I could be of more help....Good Luck.

Deral
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
In essence, you are saying it's probably just me! Right?
Rats! Not really what I was hoping to hear!
I'm being a smart aleck, of course! I do sincerely appreciate the responses and opinions!
It may not be what I wanted to hear, but it is what I needed to hear!
Maybe I'm just going to have to swallow my pride and admit I'm not worth a flip at crappie fishing!
Deral

FroggerZack
08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes Deral you suck!

Just kidding!

Think about it. Where are you going in this kayak is it the same places you go with a boat? Does your paddling have anything to do with not catching fish? Yellow couldn't be any worse than the bottom of an aluminum boat!

Sam
08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I fish out of a red kayak sometimes. Always do pretty well on the Crappie and Perch. You are sitting low in the water - are you letting your jig or lure sink down enough? I have caught many fish right at the kayak, both on the bottom and close to the surface.

Looking up from the bottom at a yellow kayak - I don't think it would be very bright - maybe even black or brown. You could always paint the bottom if it is an issue.

fish.on
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
In clear water even down to depths of 20 foot Crappie can see movement and sense vibration. When I fish clear water I usually downsize on my baits and my movement. A Crappie can see a jig in clear water much farther than in murky water and will move up to bite rather quickly especially if they are a part of a big school. Crappie on the other hand in murky water tend to scent trail and vibration trail a bait much better than in clear water. Color seems to matter in clear water and vibration in murky water. I don't go close to the beds when the water is clear but rather cast to them and use a countdown method and it works rather well. In murky water if deep enough I will troll right over them and it seems to have no ill effect at all. Hope this helps.

sixfin
08-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey Deral,
Just cut a hole in the bottom and put glass in it and then you can see if the crappie are spooked! :D

Arkie John
08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Someone mentioned how crappie are sensative to vibrations. If you are not stealthy-quiet then any bumping around inside the kayak will have the same result as being noisy in an aluminum boat.

If you ARE stealthy, then I'd try a longer presentation and if that improves your creel, then maybe I'd question the kayak's color. But I have never heard of yellow being a fish repellant.

For what it's worth.

aj

Cane Pole
08-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Someone mentioned how crappie are sensative to vibrations. If you are not stealthy-quiet then any bumping around inside the kayak will have the same result as being noisy in an aluminum boat.

If you ARE stealthy, then I'd try a longer presentation and if that improves your creel, then maybe I'd question the kayak's color. But I have never heard of yellow being a fish repellant.

For what it's worth.

aj

If this be true, then how in the hello do I ever catch a fish?

I am a little klutzy,

sort and fat.

Here is my minner,

but where is my hat?

Here is my line,

but where is my pole?

And how do I get to my fishing hole?

Poems by Tom

Cane Pole
08-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I am, by no means, an "expert" crappie fisherman, but I do manage to catch my fair share, except when I go out in my yellow kayak. I am fortunate to even get a nibble except when the water is stained or slightly muddy, or when I'm fishing deep.
I have been baffled by this problem ever since I got my kayak!
So now I'm wondering - -Maybe it's not me! Maybe it's the kayak!
Which leads me to my question;
Does the color of the bottom of a boat have an adverse effect on crappie fishing???
Desperately need all the help I can get!!
Deral

Look at it this way.

The fish fear you. Think positive.

smoothlures
08-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I fished for several years out of a white paddle boat, in a very clear 18 acre private pond. Biggest fish I caught out of it was a 10.5 lb largemouth. Caught plenty of crappie straight down/a few feet from the boat vertical jigging. However when the kid down the road went with me, my catch was cut in half. He moves around too much and makes too much noise. Try being very deliberate when you move and cut down on noise.

SpeckWick
08-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Look at it this way. If they can look up and see the surface, then ANY color boat is going to be easy to notice. The boat blocks out the light and probably appears the same to the fish regardless of color. If you are concerned that they see it, stay away from your spot and cast into it instead of fishing it vertically. You can probably use a slip float rig and keep the lure/bait at the same depth as if you were vertical fishing.
Another possibility was brought up earlier. In your boat, you are a little higher off the water than in the kayak. If you are letting out the same amount of line in the kayak as you do in the boat, maybe you are fishing below them? Just a thought.

yankee doodler
08-30-2008, 02:29 PM
first an inventor, then a boat collector, and now a poet...you never cease to amaze me! :D:D

TacoBender
08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Not sure about the color of the boat it seems that it wouldn't make much differents. My suggestion would be to try a longer pole like a 10 or a 12ft'r.

bigfish5
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
i know of a older gentleman that painted the bottom of his boat yellow. he said he had done a lot of different tests with different colors. yellow was the best color buy far. he felt it attracted fish. i think more than anything its finding the crappie. sort of like field of dreams. "if you build it they will come" with crappie "if you find them they will bite" lol at least thats what i have always thought.

gone_fishing
08-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Could it be that when using your kayak you are picking clear calm days with bluebird skies after a cold front?

Deral
08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
I am pleasantly surprised and grateful at the number of responses! All good comments, and all taken to heart! I sincerely appreciate it, one and all!
Just as a recap of events that led to my question - -
I do try to be as stealthy as possible; I believe it to be essential! I don’t THINK I’m creating too much “paddle slap”, but then, the fish may not agree! I fish a lot of brush and “stick-ups”, but I don’t paddle up to it. I coast up to it.
I do use a nine foot rod.
I do try to keep the noise to a minimum!
I fished the exact same places that my brother-in-law and I have fished from his boat for the last couple of years. They have been quite productive. I used the same jigs and techniques.
My brother-in-law and a couple of his friends were also there fishing out of his boat. They used the same jigs and fished the same spots. All three of them limited out. I never got a bite. But that only occurs when I’m in the kayak, and it wasn’t the first time! That’s what’s baffling!
Incidentally, as a correction, I did catch one crappie! I was on the water early and caught one just before the sun came up. After sunrise, I never got a nibble! Go figure!
Thanks again, everyone!
Deral

Bob # 1
08-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Are you fishing ahead of kayak so as not to spooked them?
Are you paddling to much? This will spooked them!

Kayak tend to wobble, look at it from a fish point of view.....
Here is that great big whale wiggle his bow and stern, and thrasing around with his fins "Am outta here"

Do not believe the color would have much to do with it.