Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for ALL crappie fishermen !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for ALL crappie fishermen !!

I am, by no means, an "expert" crappie fisherman, but I do manage to catch my fair share, except when I go out in my yellow kayak. I am fortunate to even get a nibble except when the water is stained or slightly muddy, or when I'm fishing deep.
    I have been baffled by this problem ever since I got my kayak!
    So now I'm wondering - -Maybe it's not me! Maybe it's the kayak!
    Which leads me to my question;
    Does the color of the bottom of a boat have an adverse effect on crappie fishing???
    Desperately need all the help I can get!!
    Deral

Post Thanks / Like

I see lots of yellow boats and all other colors on the water and they seem to do fine. never thought about it dont really think it would matter. be intresting to see what comes up hope you get it figured out

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think your kayak or the color of it affects the bite...I have had those kind of days with my boat also. But I would think fishing out of a kayak would have to take a different approach to what I am used to, which is trolling. Wish I could be of more help....Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

In essence, you are saying it's probably just me! Right?
    Rats! Not really what I was hoping to hear!
    I'm being a smart aleck, of course! I do sincerely appreciate the responses and opinions!
    It may not be what I wanted to hear, but it is what I needed to hear!
    Maybe I'm just going to have to swallow my pride and admit I'm not worth a flip at crappie fishing!
    Deral

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Deral you suck!

Just kidding!

Think about it. Where are you going in this kayak is it the same places you go with a boat? Does your paddling have anything to do with not catching fish? Yellow couldn't be any worse than the bottom of an aluminum boat!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a red kayak sometimes. Always do pretty well on the Crappie and Perch. You are sitting low in the water - are you letting your jig or lure sink down enough? I have caught many fish right at the kayak, both on the bottom and close to the surface.

Looking up from the bottom at a yellow kayak - I don't think it would be very bright - maybe even black or brown. You could always paint the bottom if it is an issue.
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

In clear water even down to depths of 20 foot Crappie can see movement and sense vibration. When I fish clear water I usually downsize on my baits and my movement. A Crappie can see a jig in clear water much farther than in murky water and will move up to bite rather quickly especially if they are a part of a big school. Crappie on the other hand in murky water tend to scent trail and vibration trail a bait much better than in clear water. Color seems to matter in clear water and vibration in murky water. I don't go close to the beds when the water is clear but rather cast to them and use a countdown method and it works rather well. In murky water if deep enough I will troll right over them and it seems to have no ill effect at all. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Deral,
    Just cut a hole in the bottom and put glass in it and then you can see if the crappie are spooked! :D
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned how crappie are sensative to vibrations. If you are not stealthy-quiet then any bumping around inside the kayak will have the same result as being noisy in an aluminum boat.

If you ARE stealthy, then I'd try a longer presentation and if that improves your creel, then maybe I'd question the kayak's color. But I have never heard of yellow being a fish repellant.

For what it's worth.

aj

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    Someone mentioned how crappie are sensative to vibrations. If you are not stealthy-quiet then any bumping around inside the kayak will have the same result as being noisy in an aluminum boat.

If you ARE stealthy, then I'd try a longer presentation and if that improves your creel, then maybe I'd question the kayak's color. But I have never heard of yellow being a fish repellant.

For what it's worth.

aj
    If this be true, then how in the hello do I ever catch a fish?

I am a little klutzy,

sort and fat.

Here is my minner,

but where is my hat?

Here is my line,

but where is my pole?

And how do I get to my fishing hole?

Poems by Tom
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 08-30-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast