Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Update on the boat

Well,
    I went and looked at it tonight and it is a 14 1/2 ft Jon boat. 4 1/2 ft wide. I didn't measure the dept but its not too shallow. Has a 15 horse evenrude (older) on it. With a minkoda foot controlled trolling motor up front. Two swivel fishing seats and two pole holders. Hummingbird fish finder (kinda jerry rigged onto the boat but works). On a trailer. $700 so I reckon I will pick it up in a week or so. I gotta take care of a few things then I will get it. He needs to clean it up. Says he is going to tune er up for me as well.

Can't wait to get it in the water and do some fishin :-)

Thanks to everyone who told me what to look for.

Glen

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the boat Glen. Those old evinrudes, properly taken care of, will out last all of us.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Like ibnfsn said about those older evinrudes, they are as tough as an outboard that you will find. Now that you have a boat, leave some fish for the rest of us to catch!!! Good luck to you, enjoy your boat!

Shaun
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

GlenC - I traded a 1972 fourteen foot Lund and a 1975 Evinrude (15 h.p.) in on a 1993 bass boat with a 60 h.p. Mercury in 1997. I really enjoy the bass rig but sure wished I had kept that old Lund and Evinrude. The Evinrude was never in the shop the 22 years I owned it. Last year I bought a 1972 jon boat and a 1984 Mariner just to use for small state park lakes and two small rivers in the area. Hope you enjoy your boat as much as I did mine.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

This is just a starter boat. I really want a pontoon boat in the next couple years. Just not ready for that step right now :-)

Any tips for a first timer using a boat? As far as how to tie off or anchor? I have had boats before but they were just "pleasure" boats. Didn't do much fishin with them.

Thanks again

Glen

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC
    Thanks guys,

This is just a starter boat. I really want a pontoon boat in the next couple years. Just not ready for that step right now :-)

Any tips for a first timer using a boat? As far as how to tie off or anchor? I have had boats before but they were just "pleasure" boats. Didn't do much fishin with them.

Thanks again

Glen
    #1 tip - PUT THE PLUG IN! :D
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

#2 Tip If you get a pontoon....put both plugs in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    #1 tip - PUT THE PLUG IN! :D

LOL!!!......you know what. It's funny you said that. Because the very first boat I had I did that. Put it in the water and took off round the lake (very small lake). My roommates son was in the boat with me. He kept tapping me on the shoulder say hey, hey, hey. Finally I said WHAT!! He pointed to the floor of the boat and there was about 3 inches of water in the boat. I high tailed it to the bank, jumped in the water and put the plug in. Didn't have a bilage pump so had to trailer it and drain the water. Never forgot the plug again.....lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. Sounds like you got a good deal. Those older Evenrudes and Johnsons were great motors, I've had several. The power heads were tough and deliver good power. One tip, check the lower unit oil on a regular basis. The seals are fairly narrow and sand and monofilament will damage them. As I rmember, they sure did start good and were goodon fuel. Have fun with your new boat and keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy again; glad to hear that you've got yourself a good deal. if the owner has a manual for the engine don't forget to get it from him, can be important. knew a guy in southern md. when i lived there that owned a boatyard, told me that when you buy a boat,moter, and trailer combo. all your paying for is the moter and the rest is thrown in for free. so, it sounds like you got a super good deal. basicly, moters go for about $100/ horsepower. nowadays it's more like $150.00/hp. still you got yourself a good deal. tarfu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast