Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie River Fish'n

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Crappie River Fish'n

On the river again, I just can't wait to get on the river again, bringing good time that will never end, I just can't wait to get on the river again.

I skipped sleeping again today to go fish.
    Got 3 hours of sleep and get my son off to summer day camp and went fishing. I didn't take my boat, but instead my buddy brought his 17' Grumman canoe, almost like mine but with a little old faded paint job on the side, LOL.

So we met at 10:30am at the river watering hole and ending up only fishing within 300 yards of the launch, sweeeeeet. We fished up to about 1:30pm-ish and caught a nice fun filled day of multi-species of fish. In that list of fish caught today were: sunfish, bluegill, pumpkinseed, yellow perch, black crappie, white crappie and my buddy even got a bullhead. We say a guy catch a bass and have a pike jump and break off. It was a great day on the water.

My buddy was 1st to get into the crappie today.

And 1st thing in the morning, he went to the leaded with this nice 12" crappie.

He also ending up using the days hottest color and found out how to fish for them. Firetiger rib grubs were the ticket, my brim one only got me 1 sunfish right off the bat for the 1st fish caught for the day. After my buddy put 4 or 5 in the boat, I changed right over to the firetiger. We put the canoe right in on top of the water chestnuts to stop the canoe and were working the little pockets inbetween and under the chestnuts, vertical jigging the rib grubs. That did the trick, then we moved to a shallower flat and I ended up catching some nice perch.

Ended up losing the biggest perch of the day at the canoe, it might have bet the 12" crappie to take the lead from my buddy.

It was coming close to departure time, so we floated back down thru crappie central and worked the chestnuts again, but I chanced up. I went to a TPB 1.5" tubie in red/wht/smk and hooked into a nice crappie, netted it myself and low and behold it was a white crappie.

A 14 1/2" white crappie to be exact. :D

And me sporting the "Crappie Attitude" shirt, too.
    See that little hole in the chestnuts on the left side of the picture, that is where he/she came from, that's right, right next to the canoe, that is why my ice fishing rod would have been easier in that case.

All fish were C&R'd with a few C.P.R.s to show what a fun time we had on the water today. "Fish to much ... Can't be done"

I can't wait for the water to cool down more and the weeds to start dieing off more. Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Fish On!
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great day on the water.That White Crappie is a beauty.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter1 View Post
    Looks like a great day on the water.That White Crappie is a beauty.
    Thanks, those white crappie are close to 1:100 ratio with the black crappies in the river. I normally only catch about a dozen total a year, if I'm lucky along with hundreds of black crappie. :D
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Nice perch. Why does it look green?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuyge View Post
    Nice perch. Why does it look green?
    They are just dark in color, some awesome colored fish from this section of the river. I think it comes from the darker water color. That is way the firetiger jigs seem to work better, something that they can see easier. :D
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman