Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ky and Barkley Lakes needs your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ky and Barkley Lakes needs your help.

I posted this on the main forums because alot of you visit and fish these lakes. There is a meeting going to take place this friday concerning the drawdown of Barkley Lake, Congressman Ed Whitfield is trying to push a law requiring US Corps of Engineers to hold the lake at summer pool longer. He is being pressured by the area marina and resort owner complaining about the loss of tourism because of the low water levels. It is a shame that the business people are putting a few tourism dollars over the health of these two great fisheries. They think the low water is the reason they dont get much business after labor day. I believe the more realistics reason are, kids back at school, kids back at college and there is alot of sports that start around this same. I could go on and on. The Corp of Engineers along with the biologist from the Ky. Dept of Fish and Wildlife have give several reason this will hurt the lakes.
    1. The higher levels will increase shoreline erosion.
    2. the higher levels will damage the buttonball brush or what we call buck brush which is vital habitat to lots of small fish and at times is great crappie and bass fishing.
    3. Less water to generate electricity
    4. Less water in the lower river systems
    5. Loss of vegetation that wintering waterfowl depends on.

And there are more reasons, anyways anyone who agrees this is going to hurt alot of people and wildlife for the sake of a few pleasure boaters who only use the lakes a short time compared to the fisherman that benifits 9 -12 months a year please help by contacting Congressman Ed Whitfield and voicing your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Torn

As a riverman I am torn on this issue. I run a towboat up and down these rivers and the little extra water is a positive for me for navigation purposes. As for the pleasure boaters... I could give a flip if I ever see another ski boat or jet ski! I hate'm!

If I understand you correctly Whitfield is going after the COE. If that is the only agency he is after it won't do him any good anyway. Barkley is controled by the COE but... Kentucky is a TVA controlled Lake. If TVA isn't mandated to maintain those levels it doesn't matter what the COE does. Ky. Lake will be held where TVA wants it and because Ky. & Barkley are connected by Barkley Canal, Barkley will be at near the same level as Ky.

I need to do some more research on this but I'm all for whatever is best for the fishery and wildlife. Heck with the Lake Lice! There's your primary cause of bank erosion!

Keep us posted.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't see why anybody has a problem in the winter. I have fished these lakes for 30 years, this issue has just surfaced in the last few. All channels are well marked, Anybody who is responsible enough to operate a boat should be able to read a map. I think all the negative press is more of a problem than boats getting damaged. If the marinas want more money they should push to sell maps and maybe consider selling insurance for damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiskers the only lake that has been mentioned from what I have read has been Barkley, I have'nt seen anything about Ky lake.

Speckfinder I also have been duck hunting and fishing Barkley for 20 years and so far have'nt had any problems. I think the problem is the pleasure boaters who dont have a clue about where they run and dont care until they tear something up. I watched a boat pull 2 kids in a tube over a stump bed in 3-4ft of water a few weeks ago and you can see things like this all summer. Most fisherman first thing they do when going to new water pulls out a map to see where they want to start fishing.

The biggest issue for me is the thought of the extended summer pool killing the buck brush, also if the high water would keep the mustard hedge from growing.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Don't worry

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing View Post
    Wiskers the only lake that has been mentioned from what I have read has been Barkley, I have'nt seen anything about Ky lake.

Speckfinder I also have been duck hunting and fishing Barkley for 20 years and so far have'nt had any problems. I think the problem is the pleasure boaters who dont have a clue about where they run and dont care until they tear something up. I watched a boat pull 2 kids in a tube over a stump bed in 3-4ft of water a few weeks ago and you can see things like this all summer. Most fisherman first thing they do when going to new water pulls out a map to see where they want to start fishing.

The biggest issue for me is the thought of the extended summer pool killing the buck brush, also if the high water would keep the mustard hedge from growing.
    If Barkley is the only one they are addressing, don't worry! You can't do one without the other. It ain't doable! Trust me, I'm a 33 year riverman.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the people need a big flood, Then they will be happy to keep the water down to help hold the floods back.
    Pete

tuls Guest

I say the most knowledgable person to make the decision is the biologist from the Ky Fish and Wildlife.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is all political BS, Whitfield trying to please the business people,like wiskers stated you cant change one without the other. I didnt know which of the two, the corp or tva, had the most control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing View Post
    I hope this is all political BS, Whitfield trying to please the business people,like wiskers stated you cant change one without the other. I didnt know which of the two, the corp or tva, had the most control.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed View Post
    Sounds like the people need a big flood, Then they will be happy to keep the water down to help hold the floods back.
    Pete
    Shilo ol'buddy I got off the boat in Chatt. Tuesday and if it keeps raining like it did on me for the last 3 days they'll get that flood! My goodness it rained up there.

And Greenwing I'm think'n TVA carries the "trump card" on that one.
    Last edited by Wiskers; 08-27-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiskers....Lake lice, I gotta remember that one !!....Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast