Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a mistake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did I make a mistake

Ok I bought some of the crappie liquid scent stuff that Berkley makes over the winter. I decided to put it in a peanut butter jar because it would be easier to get my bait down into it to soak up the scent. Should I have just left it in the original bottle and just squirted a little bit on the bait every now and then. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if it has affected the scent any. For future reference should I leave it in the original bottle? Anyone else use this stuff? Does it work any better than with out it? I know it stinks real bad but if the fish like it that's all that matters.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see that you made a mistake at all. I do the same thing to the scents that i buy. The way I look at it is that the makers of the scents rely on 75% to 90% loss for future business. Think about it for a second, they put it in a spray or squirt bottle normally and you hold your jig or lure over the side of the boat and spray or squirt liquid onto jig or lure. How much do you think gets onto that jig or lure and how much is wasted and is now floating on top of the water ? See my point, your idea of putting it in a jar is great, not so much waste. I have been doing that for years and have had no problems at all.

My 2 cents.

Shaun
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish scent

I don't think it will make a difference putting it in another container. the only thing is, is the amount of scent you will use if you are dipping your jig instead of spraying it. just one spray will work as compared to soaking it with scent. One spray will last for quite a few casts. I use the scent but put it on my hands if i am changing jigs quite often to keep my scent off the jigs. I use it especially if I gas the truck or the boat or grease the axle and then go fishing.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Untill you tip the jar over, been there done that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Von Drasek
    Untill you tip the jar over, been there done that.

I'll try to avoid that. Thanks for the reply guys. I figured since I paid like $3 or something for the spray I should use as much as I could. I think I read somewhere that spraying it on the bait only about 10% or less actually makes it on the bait. The bottle said to reapply every 10-15 casts. I don't know that I would do it that often but maybe just when I change lures to get my scent off the bait. Does this stuff work with live bait?
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I once had the fantastic opportunity to sit in a motel room one evening with Guido Hibdon and a very good friend of mine, Kenneth "Dusty" Pine that were both at Gunnersville Lake Alabama for a Bass Masters tournament there in 1991. To make a long story short, Guido said the best and cheapest attractant/smell killer is a mix your own Baby Oil and Sardine Oil. "The baby oil makes'er stick". The Sardine oil came from Sardines packed in soy bean oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Works with anything, my wife puts it on nightcrawlers. Its like having one of those underwater cameras with you. If she's not catching anything there are no fish there. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

Default green carp

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    I once had the fantastic opportunity to sit in a motel room one evening with Guido Hibdon and a very good friend of mine, Kenneth "Dusty" Pine that were both at Gunnersville Lake Alabama for a Bass Masters tournament there in 1991. To make a long story short, Guido said the best and cheapest attractant/smell killer is a mix your own Baby Oil and Sardine Oil. "The baby oil makes'er stick". The Sardine oil came from Sardines packed in soy bean oil.

I use to tournament bass fish pretty heavy before the kids came along. If memory serves me right. Dusty pine is from Indiana is he not? Is he still on the tournament seen. Have not seen his name in years.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    I use to tournament bass fish pretty heavy before the kids came along. If memory serves me right. Dusty pine is from Indiana is he not? Is he still on the tournament seen. Have not seen his name in years.
    Yes, Rosedale, Indiana.

Nope, he was forced to quit, skin cancer was eating him up. Last I heard from him he owns a grass sod farm down in Kentucky somewhere. It's Ironic, the last major money he won was up on the St Lawrence using RATS in the grass. The last small tournament we fished together was at Glendale, Washington Indiana....which we won with RATS in the grass.
    Dusty and I fished together as childhood friends, and I talked him into joining his first Green Carp club "The Nightcrawlers". A couple years later I moved to Southern Indiana for 6 years and lost track of him. He made it to the Classic twice, the first time through the BASS Federation, and both times Patoka was the key. Guido was probably his best friend on the tournament trail. That night in Gunnersville at sign-up I saw Guido flip a 1/4 weight the length of a Gymnasium and hit a 12" pie plate 6 out of ten times....absolutely unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

Default that's pretty neat vet

Did real good on rats at turtle creek back in the late 80's. Use to call that place the bass factory.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast