Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: "Pegging" a sinker or bobber stop tip

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Pegging" a sinker or bobber stop tip

I have started noticing that many of the worm (bullet) weights and some of the egg sinkers are being sold with their own nylon/plastic pegs. Unless you have lots of money and no where to spend it this is a true rip-off.

Buy a box of round wooden toothpicks. insert toothpick into hole until tight, then break toothpick off. The water will also swell the wood making it even tighter.

This works great for pegging any slip sinker, and if you use the bullet nosed worm weights for a drop shot it accomplishes two things. First the shape of the bullet nose helps with the sliding over brush, secondly, if you do get the weight hung and can't "jiggle" it free....a firm steady pull will nine times out of ten pull the line out of the pegged sinker and lets you retreive most of your rig. (braided lines will not slip out near as easy)

This will also work well for bobber stops with the correct conditions.
    Buy the smallest plastic bead you can find that's BB size or smaller. Peg the bead where you want the bobber stop. They do have a tendency to hang on the eyes but works great if you do not intend to cast with them. On the longer rods where the bead will never see the tip guide it's about as easy as any bobber stop I have ever used.
    Last edited by VietVet68; 05-13-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rubber band

I like to use a small rubber band and run a loop of mono thru the hole and then cut the band and pull it thru the hole and leave both ends hanging out. You can then stretch the rubber band and insert your line and release the 2 ends and it will snug your line without pinching it. Just make sure the rubber band is of the correct size to hold your line.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default bobber stopper

Had never thought about using a small bead as a bobber stopper but just went out and tried it with the rubber band and it seems to work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a rubber band as a bobber stop but I just cut it and tied the rubber around the line and pulled it tight... had trouble with it hanging up in the rod tip... even when using the thinnest rubber band I could find.

Steve, I'm having trouble visualizing how you use the band... Brain freeze, I guess..
    Anyone good at on-line special ed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default rubber band

I will try to be a little clearer. Run a loop of mono thru the sinker or bead and then cut a rubber band in half, run the rubber thru the loop end of the mono and pull it thru the bead or sinker hole which will pull a double loop of rubber thru the hole. Lay the mono aside and pull the rubber farther down into the bead. Then cut the loop end of the rubber and pull one strand of rubber on thru the bead leaving one strand of rubber in the bead. Leave the ends long enough to stretch the rubber in the hole in the bead to give you room to thread your fishing line thru the hole. When you release the tension on the rubber it will tighten up against the fishing line and hold itself in place. You can cut off the tag end of the rubber if you need to cast thru the eyes of your rod or leave them there in case you want to use it on another line. Hope this is clearer, don't know anywhere on the net that has pixs, there may be but I don't know about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve... I rode the short bus and had to use blunt sizzers.

Post Thanks / Like

This thing about the rubber band is one way to use them. another thing to do, if you want to troll a little deeper is to use the rubber bands as dropper loops.Just double the band over the line, I use a 20/6 braid,and then attach your sinker [chepest you can find], to a short leaderand let out your lure, when you feel you have enough line out attach the rubber band, and the weight, and start your troll. If you get a hit, just reel in the line, and snap the rubber band off, dropping the weight into the boat, and reel in your line to the fish or lure.I use this sometimes striper fishing and use weighs up to two onces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski
    This thing about the rubber band is one way to use them. another thing to do, if you want to troll a little deeper is to use the rubber bands as dropper loops.Just double the band over the line, I use a 20/6 braid,and then attach your sinker [chepest you can find], to a short leaderand let out your lure, when you feel you have enough line out attach the rubber band, and the weight, and start your troll. If you get a hit, just reel in the line, and snap the rubber band off, dropping the weight into the boat, and reel in your line to the fish or lure.I use this sometimes striper fishing and use weighs up to two onces.
    Sparkplugs.