Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chasing flatheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default chasing flatheads

I'm not new to catfishing but have never hooked a decent sized flathead until recently. Now they got me hooked. I went out and bought a 7' Ugly Stick Catfish baitcaster rod (med. heavy action) and put my Shimano Calcutta 400s reel on it. I spooled it with 40 lb. Powerpro and rig it carolina style w/ size 3 barrel swivel and 50 lb mono leader and 8/0 circle hook. I plan on fishing w/ live bream and crappie for bait. I got a few questions regarding the tackle y'all use for big flatheads.
    1. Is mono ok or should I be using flourocarbon for the leaders?
    2. Is what I described sufficient for flatheads 40 lb and over?
    3. What type knots do you use for mono that heavy (uni is what I tied)?
    4. Is the basic Carolina rig the best way to go?
    5. For river and large reservoir fishing with slow to moderate current how big and what type of sinker are y'all usin with live bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on where the Flatheads are in your waters, you are a bit on the light side with your line. Flatheads love cover and you had best get them out of there on the first run or they will snag you up good.

As for your other questions:

1. I don't think Flatheads are very discriminating fish. You really don't need a leader at all. They don't scare off by seeing line.

2. See my opening statement.

3. I can't get a Uni to stay put in PowerPro. I use a Palomar.

4. Carolina rigs are OK, but if you are dropping baits into cover, a long leader will drive you nuts with a lively bream on the end of it. The best thing I have found is to use a basic offshore Grouper setup called a knocker rig. Tie it up like a Carolina with the line through the weight (about 6 to 8 ounces), a small plastic bead on the line next, then the hook. The weight sits directly on the hook.

5. See above.

Tom

PS: Flatheads in Florida are a introduced exotic and considered a trash fish. No limits, and it is against the law to return one alive to the water. If you catch one, kill it even if you don't intend keeping it to eat (which would be a shame as they are great table fare).
    Last edited by T_om; 08-23-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to learn how to target the big flatheads also. How are you hooking the bream to get the best action out of them while still maintaining their longevity? Thanks

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

I hook through the back just behind the dorsal fin using a big circle hook.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks T_om,
    After you cast that rig out and it's on the bottom, do you keep the bait tight to the weight, or do you have a preferred length that you let out, to have the bait swimming around above the weight? Any recommendations on hooks and line? I'm shifting over a few of my heavier salt water rigs to catfish since fuel doesn't allow me to make as many salt trips. (12 to 14 hrs. round trip)

Thanks,
    boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

i could be wrong but i thought it was illegal to use crappie for bait? maybe it is just in alabama?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight T_om. I figured I might be a little light on the line. 40 lb. was the biggest I could find local. I'm gonna have to get over to BPS.

i could be wrong but i thought it was illegal to use crappie for bait? maybe it is just in alabama?
    Legal in Georgia bigfish5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatstall View Post
    Thanks T_om,
    After you cast that rig out and it's on the bottom, do you keep the bait tight to the weight, or do you have a preferred length that you let out, to have the bait swimming around above the weight? Any recommendations on hooks and line? I'm shifting over a few of my heavier salt water rigs to catfish since fuel doesn't allow me to make as many salt trips. (12 to 14 hrs. round trip)

Thanks,
    boatstall
    100 pound braid is not too heavy.

On the knocker rig, just having the line tight is good enough, the purpose is to keep the bait close to the sinker. A little slack usually develops anyway. The bream flop around even held close to the weight. The flopping around and struggling is what rings the dinner bell for predators. An Alabama relative uses a REAL short leader (6 inches) to do much the same thing. The knocker rig works though and is simpler.

Circle hook sizes make me crazy as all the manufacturers have their own idea as to what number designation goes with which actual size. An Eagle Claw 7/0 is the lightest catfish hook I use (too light for Flatheads) and I go up (way up) from there targeting big fish. The only limit to the hook size is that if you go too big you kill the bait too quickly. Flatheads don't care one way or the other. You aren't going to scare away a Flathead with a big hook.

Tom

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minnowsoaker, sounds like you know where a few of them big boys are! Good luck with 'em. Looking forwards to seeing a few posts (with pictures) before too long!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

i fish them alot alot

i make my sinkers i sen no.rolls during summer i use 3.4.5oz
    and early spring i may go as high as 12.oz due to extreme current

i fish from the bank for these 100% of the time even if i use a boat to get to the spot

my bank poles are heavy 8 and 9 ft casting rods penn reels
    the poles i throw deep are 10 to 13 ft casting with abu reels

i use 280# power swivels with kahl and bass pro 10 bait holders i use those because i use live bait leader made with any heavy mono main line 25# to 50# mono cajun red usually i like the abrasion resistance compared to any other and when i hook my baits i usually hook them through the tail but if the bait is usually 10 inches or bigger ill hook them through the top of the back i try not to hook the bait through the head or lips i like my bait to be as lively as possibly and i feel that if you hook em through the head its 1 more thing to add stress to the bait and too much stress on a fish/bait will kill it
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast