Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grilling Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grilling Crappie

I'm ashamed to even ask this......To me the only way to eat Crappie is by Catch and Release in hot grease! But I've been told I need to start eating healthier. Can I get some advice on grilling crappie. I've never cooked any fish on a grill before. Appreciate any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Brad the thing that I found that helped me out was a thing that was specialy made for grilling fish. I found it one day after being drug into one of the bed, bath and beyond or similar stores. It holds the fish together on the grill where you can flip the fish to cook it evenly and it wont break apart. Its also hard to beat aluminum foil summer squash and some butter and fish.
    Good luck and call me when dinners ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Grilling is more healthy for you but I came up with a method to fry fish and it is still healthy. Most folks fry fish in veg. oil and bread it with cornmeal and flour products, that combo is what is not healthy, wrong carbs. My wife and I went on the South Beach diet this winter and I thought I would have to give up fried fish, but after looking at the foods that were good to eat this is what I came up with:

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal (not instant)
    1 egg
    canola oil
    season salt and pepper (you might try "lite salt")

put oatmeal in a good food processor and process it until it is a fine powder, it will look alot like wheat flour when you done. Beat the egg in a bowl and heat up the canola oil. Place the fish in the egg batter then into the oatmeal, next into the oil at about 350 (not as hot as you usually cook fish, oatmeal will burn). Season to taste, hope it works for you. This works better with smaller fish so now you can let those big enz' go!!!!...

Post Thanks / Like

Grilling works best for oily fish? Try poaching or fry in canola oil..

Post Thanks / Like

Grilled is about the only way I ever fix Crappie or Bluegill fillets, and here is how I do it.

I make individual Aluminum foil packets with several fillets, chopped onion, bell pepper, and real butter. I spray the foil with PAM first as it seems to keep the butter from sticking/burning. I will also make onion and potato packets with the same ingredients except I also add garlic butter and/or salt to them.

The cooking time will be determined by the thickness of the fillets and potato slices. Over the years I have determined that the fillets are done after three or four beers, and the potato's are done 2 beers later. When it appears that all is about done I open the packets and let them slightly brown for one more beer.

If you want a real treat, soak you some corn still in the husks in water for a couple three hours (keeps the husks from burning) then throw them on the grill for a couple of beers and turn them once after each beer.

Post Thanks / Like

gotta love that timing system!!!

I cook a lot of veggies and onions and stuff like that on the grill in those packet type setups. Works good. Can't wait to try some filets like that, have to catch some first I suppose

Post Thanks / Like

How long do you grill the beers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcass
    How long do you grill the beers?
    Oh,.... I'll question them for a couple hours and then turn them loose!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL

Look out Martha Stewart here comes Viet Vet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast