Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sucking Air

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sucking Air

Need some help, I have a 01 Javelin Venom & I have started having trouble with the motor. It sounds & feels like the boat is sucking air instead of gas. I have replaced the filter twice & its still acting the same. The boat wants to go but it seems like the gas is just not getting to the motor for some reason.
    I can prime the bulb & the boat will start on the first turn just like it always has. Note, the bulb does not go flat it just goes soft to where you have to prime it again.
    Anybody got any ideas, i have looked over the fuel lines but dont see any cracks or holes in the line anywhere. Do you think I could have gotten 2 bad filters???

The boat will try & go get um but like I said the boat acts like it is sucking air, I was gonna replace the gas lines this weekend but wasnt sure if that would fix the problem or not & I dont have the $$$ to take it to the local shop
    So if anybody has any ideas please let me know

Thanks, Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Have you used gas with ethanol in it? That could be the problem if so.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all its normal for the primer bulb to get soft (but not collapse) when the motor is running. When it starts to act up, pump the primer bulb. If it acts like it wants to go, rebuild the fuel pump. What kind/size of motor is it? I believe they normally put Johnsons on those boats.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I had this same problem with a smaller outboard. It was a hole in the fuel line between the bulb and the motor. It wouldnt leak gas but would suck air and motor ran terrible. Hope this helps!!

Post Thanks / Like

Might also check your fitting where it hooks to motor. They will also wear out.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, it is a 90 Johson!!! never had a problem with it till now. The boat acts like it wants to go, it just wont go. Sometimes it will catch & run fine for a few minutes & then it will start again.

I am going to replace the gas lines this weekend, just hoping its not the pump

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the primer bulb go bad and it would act like that. The check valve in the bulb may be bad and not holding pressure like it should. I would replace the bulb and lines and see if that cures the problem.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

You're on the right track. Replace the lines, bulbs and connections. Might change the fuel filter while you're at it. Probably fairly old anyway and shouldn't be too expensive. Might save yourself a trip to the dealership. If not, you'll have brand new lines to go with your brand new fuel pump.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

On my Johnson I replaced the lines and the filter and it ended up being fuel pump. After I replaced the fuel pump she was rockin n' rollin.
    Wishin I was Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys!!!

How much can I expect the pump to run??? & is it something I can do or will a dealership/shop have to do it???

i will let youll know if the lines fix the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast