Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon Fishing

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoon Fishing

I've been thinking of getting a pontoon boat for family fun on the water. While looking, I've come to realize that there are quite a few pontoons rigged for fishing. Do any of you crappie fish from a pontoon? If so, how does it compare to fishing from a "normal" fishing boat? Currently, I fish from a 25 y.o. Ranger. It seems that Pontoons would catch a lot more wind, but would be fairly comfortable otherwise. Also, I thought the rails around the front deck of a pontoon would make for easy spider-rigging. Any opinions/info would be appreciated.
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 21' fishing barge by Tracker, with a 50 hp merc on it. I use it mostly for fishing. It does catch wind, but with a couple of drift socks you can slow it down pretty good. I use it mostly for gill fishing drifting with crickets. It kills. Anchoring it is a chore, have to have a 30lb pyramid on the front and lots of line to hold it in a wind. No wind, no problem. I use my 17' tracker semi v when I am pitching jigs.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't have anything other than a pontoon boat fishing with the family. Like 9mm said, the wind can be a problem sometimes...and anchoring is a little troublesome. I would like to get something smaller when I am fishing alone if I could run across the right deal.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea. Love it. I bought a 24' with a short deck up front outside the rail. I took out all the sundeck stuff on the rear and installed a sheet of diamond plate aluminum. Rigged for river catfishing out the back, and spider rigging out the front. Great for kids and the whole family.

Here are lots of pics and short video clips. On the next to last page you can see the T-bars up front.

Ranger690 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A 25# Richter anchor will hold in most conditions, both current or wind.

Get it and Enjoy it.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 20' pontoon that I use to troll and night stalk and love it. You can get under the top in the heat of the day while trolling. A little shade makes a big difference when it is 90+. I have 4 rod holder on each corner so 4 can fish at night.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

With 5 grandkids now, my family is about to outgrow my Sea Chaser and I'm pondering a deck boat. Considerably more expensive than a pontoon, but I could use it for some in/nearshore saltwater fishing. I'd be afraid, however, I'd be confused with a 'recreational' boater.
    Gary

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had to do it over again, I would get a deck boat. But one that, was fiberglass on the bottom, but like a regular pontoon on top (flat), Hurricane brand. I have a vinyl floor and I love it. No carpet. I have enough room for it to be wheelchair accessible. Regular deck boats have stepped down areas and such. For kids and grandparents, the flat surface is ideal. Even removed the drivers seat and put a removeable pedastal seat. I can move it and let a wheelchair pull right up and take the wheel.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

i've got a 25 ft family fish pontoon by crest. have 5 rod holders on back and 2 on each side. Ever since the temp's got above 90 i been using it exclusively. i mainly pull crankbaits, but i do spider rig off of it too. we have a ball fishing on it. the extra shade with the bimini top is a real blessing in the heat of the day. i have a 90 hp 4 stroke yamaha with a trolling plate that i use when the batteries run down on my 80 lb thrust auto pilot tm. i can usually get 5-6 hrs run time on the tm pullin cranks at 1.7-2.1 mph depending on the wind. can easily fish 3 people, have fished 4 people on several occasions

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input! I'm really thinkin' about getting one now!
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

I will be buying a pontoon boat in October to rig for fishing primarily and can transform for a family outing when the holidays come up donchaknow.

With the economy like it is, there are plenty of boats on the market. Already have a MinKota 101 long shaft 36v tm for it.

Now when I find a place to hide three batteries, I'll be set lol

aj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast