Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Questions

What lures are your favorites for trolling for crappie? Do any troll with roadrunners, and if so, what size and speed do you troll. As you can tell I am a newby trying to learn. Thank you for any and all input.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Depends on the lake, and circumstances ...

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmruger View Post
    What lures are your favorites for trolling for crappie? Do any troll with roadrunners, and if so, what size and speed do you troll. As you can tell I am a newby trying to learn. Thank you for any and all input.
    ... but, yeah ... I like RR's for trolling. I've caught a lot of nice Crappie from several different lakes, trolling a 1/16oz RR (marabou). Usually troll them on shallow flats, or along the outside tops of fallen trees (if I can find a bank with a number of them along it).

For longline trolling, I usually employ several different brands & styles & colors of jigs, just to give all the fish around ... something different to pick. Size/weight is a mixed bag, too, so I can cover more depths AND size preferences, at the same time. They can range from 1/32oz to 1/8oz, and be all hair/feather/artificial material ... jighead/plastic body ... or combo of both.

Can't really give you a MPH "speed" (no speed indication system onboard) ... but, I'm usually a good cast's distance behind the rod tip, and the bait will drag bottom if I get into water shallower than 6ft. I usually only get to do this type of trolling during the early part of the year. If I get to go during the Summer months, I'm usually casting during the early hours of the day. And during Fall, it's casting to submerged timber that's in deep water ... or shooting docks (where available). May even be dipping a minnow/float setup into some standing Cedars ... again, depending on the lake.

...cp

Post Thanks / Like

I also troll Road Runners, but mostly 1/32 oz. and marabou tail as well. I like them spring and fall over and around grass best, but also work well other than grass. If you pull them through the crappie they will hit it. I do use a 1/16 oz as well sometime, but just use the 1/32 more.

Speed I use a variable speed troll motor and doing so in several different boats over the years ( started trolling Road Runners in the late 70's) I start by setting my troll motor on 3 and adjust from there for the wind and for what the fish want.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

plugs usually do better in the warmer seasson. 200 an 300 bandits, Hot-N-Tots, shad raps or bout any deeper divin plug with a 2 inch body.