Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean and Polish Aluminum Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clean and Polish Aluminum Boat

I have an aluminum boat that is heavly oxidized with the gray coating. How is the best way to remove oxidation to clean metal? Looking for a product or method that requires the least amount of work. thanks for your help.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chodie1 View Post
    I have an aluminum boat that is heavly oxidized with the gray coating. How is the best way to remove oxidation to clean metal? Looking for a product or method that requires the least amount of work. thanks for your help.

If you lazy, try a detail shop. Somebody will take your money.

There is a acid cleaner you can get at auto stores for cleaning aluminum. Spray it on, wash it off with water. Truckers us it to clean the al stuff. NAPA has it.

Can't remember the name of the stuff.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chodie1 View Post
    ALUMINEX
    Bass Pro has it. Works great and very fast and easy. It's a little pricey on this link but you can buy smaller containers. A little goes a long way. Good Luck!

MARYKATE ALUMINEX ALUMINUM BOTTOM CLEANER-Gallon at Outdoor Super Store

Post Thanks / Like

try all of and then you will know what I know none of it works will do a little bit to make it look clean but the grey is a real bugger to get shiney, muractic(sp)acid is what is in most of the stuff, soap water and elbow grease works the best,

NJcrappie Guest

This works on unpainted aluminum boats. I've done it to mine. Go to home depot and buy aluminum siding cleaner. Apply per directions and hose off. I think behr makes it.

Please take a before and after picture. Mine was like night and day on a old boat.

canepole, is the stuff your thinking of is etching mag wheel cleaner?
    Last edited by NJcrappie; 08-19-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJcrappie View Post
    This works on unpainted aluminum boats. I've done it to mine. Go to home depot and buy aluminum siding cleaner. Apply per directions and hose off. I think behr makes it.

Please take a before and after picture. Mine was like night and day on a old boat.

canepole, is the stuff your thinking of is etching mag wheel cleaner?
    I don't remember. I cleaned my pontoon with it. Worked good. It was recommended by the boat dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean you found a "new" boat Chodie?

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Here this stuff really works good.

sharkhide.com

Post Thanks / Like

If the boat is anodized aluminum, don't use acid cleaner as it will remove the anodizing. This is what Tracker told me. I am no expert. I don't know crap about anodized aluminum. I just followed Tracker's recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

The stuff the truckers use is called Fleet Brite. Used it for several years on different stuff around the house. Works really good. About $10 for a gallon of concentrate.

Buzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast