Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling Hot-n-Tots

k_redball Guest

Default trolling Hot-n-Tots

id like to ask for some tips for trolling a hot-n-tot about 15-20ft down on 12lb mono. how much line do i let out???do i need added weights???leaders??? thanks for the info

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Which one are you using

Quote Originally Posted by k_redball View Post
    id like to ask for some tips for trolling a hot-n-tot about 15-20ft down on 12lb mono. how much line do i let out???do i need added weights???leaders??? thanks for the info
    Are you using the small ones or larger ones ??

Only reason to put a leader on, would be if you had a jig trailing behind the crankbait. I use this setup to troll for Hybrid Stripers & White Bass, and put the leader on the front hook eye, rather than the back hook eye. This helps keep the Tot running right, as a back hooked leader/jig will cause the Tot to spin (if you get up to any speed).
    I wouldn't add any weight, unless I was "pushing" the cranks (trolling spider rig style, out the front/sides), or unless longline method required too much distance behind boat.
    Speed of boat vs length of line out will determine depth. If no one has a formula or answer to your question, here's how I'd figure it out : get boat to speed wanted - run over a 15ft bare bottom flat - let Tot out slowly until it starts hitting bottom - mark line just in front of reel. (you can also measure the length of line, on that test pole, so you can set other lines at same length).

... cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Up here, we have a book named Precision trolling 8th edition, that tells you how far back to run almost all crankbaits made. Its the lake erie trollers bible. Try this website. Troller's Bible - Home of Precision Trolling Pro Edition by Mark Romanack . It should help answer your question.

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

This chart is for 10 # line

"http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../hoh-n-tot.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

but ya can get 25-30&#37; more depth than what the chart says by usin fireline or another braided line.(ten-14lb test) and usin a leader with a swivel tween it an main line works better for me.

k_redball Guest

alright guys, thanks alot for all the info, it'll help me get started for sure!!!