Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't get one of these poles.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't get one of these poles.

Last year Christmas present I finally got round to using. If I had bought it myself, well you all know.

1 trip,1 fish, 1 pole. Snap. BPS series GS IM6. Usta be 6 footer single piece.

3-4 pound drum.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

What happened? Did you have the drag tightened down all the way or was there just a flaw in the rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Send that sucker back, I got a 7' float & fly rod and it has handled bigger fish than a 3 lb drum! i think you just got a bad 1, and if you get a good 1 you will love it!
    Stinkies Daddy

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    What happened? Did you have the drag tightened down all the way or was there just a flaw in the rod?
    lifting it out of the water. I am not much on netting fish. Lip 'em and 'grip em.

Hard to lip drums. Can't tell mouth from butt.

I got a cheap trotline mesh net. Can't stand it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    lifting it out of the water. I am not much on netting fish. Lip 'em and 'grip em.

Hard to lip drums. Can't tell mouth from butt.

I got a cheap trotline mesh net. Can't stand it.
    Cane Pole I have one of the rubber nets and you would love it except that it's a bit heavy. Nothing tangles in that net. I originally bought it because I was fishing for crappie using a drop shot rig and every time we netted a fish the darn sinker hanging on the bottom would get tangled really bad. Since I got this rubber net I get my jigs and hooks out easy.

Not cheap, but worth it.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Ditto on the rubber net.
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

1st....I wouldnt lift a 3-4lb fish with that rod...
    2nd....It looks similar to the BPS tourny series rods? If so, it is without a doubt one of the best rods I have ever owned. Ive got a tourny series rod, 6' that has caught: too many small mouth to remember, largemouth, WAYYYYYYYY too many stripers to try to count from 18-26in, catfish to 8lbs, more bream than I care to remember, crappies, white perch, upwards of 40 flounder, hooked up with a puppy drum (red drum), bluefish, and lizard fish. One of my "quick trip all purpose" rods. Best $40 spent on fishing from my wallet. I wouldnt try to lift a 3 to 4lb fish with it, but then again I doubt I would with my 7ft heavy action flathead rods. Mine is the medium action 1/4-5/8oz....my buddy has same rod to 3/4oz and has taken the same stuff basically.

3rd Take it back, get it replaced, and buy a net lol

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, my guess is you just happened to get one that was flawed somehow. I've been using some ugly stick trolling rods for hybrids up here for several years now. I bought a new one and the first trip out snapped it on a 3lb fish. No mistreating it, just went to set a hook and "Snap!" Never had a minutes trouble out of the other rodss and caught quite a few big hybrids on them. I took it back and got a replacement, they have a 7 year warranty, and have not had any more problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 7' St. Croix ultra light 2 piece that broke on the first trip out, first hook set on a small maybe 2 lb. bass. I aint gonna say St. Croix is junk though, just must have gotten a defect. It happens with just about everything once in a while you get a bad one. I now fish with the Ugly Stick Light Pro rods in ultra light action and love em. They are the ones w/ the cork handle. I've had six of em for quite a while and hadn't had a single problem. They are also much easier on the wallet. As for the rubber net, I got one of those too. It's already developed a couple of small holes in it, not sure what from but I still like it and would buy another.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom your gonna have to quit eatin so many soup beans & fried taters before you go fishin.They give you to much strength & you don't even realize it :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast