Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got a great book at yard sale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got a great book at yard sale

After doing some powder painting yesterday decided to take a break and went to a few yard sales and at one found a book called "Catch More Crappie" by Stan Fagerstrom. Well I already have his "Catch More Bass" and I read it all the time.

Well the Crappie book is no different, and he has a small chapter on tieing jigs which for when the book came out had to have been really cool. Lot's of the tips in the book are still applicable as I've seen them on here.

Fatman

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that book and it is great! Also, if you see "Panfishing" by Richard Martin, Gary Nelson and Keith Sutton or Mastering Largemouth Bass by Larry Larson you should pick them up. The North American Fishing Club published them. They are both great reads!

Richard Martin also wrote "Experiments in Crappie fiishing."
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Nelson, a fishing writer obsessed with crappie angling, wrote the crappie chapters for "Panfishing"--and was actually the one who originated and wrote the "Experiments in Crappie Fishing" mentioned in this string. "Experiments in Crappie Fishing" was a series of articles/columns.

Stan Fagerstrom's "Catch More Crappie", probably the second book ever published on crappie fishing, had a lot of good tips (written in a pleasant, informal style) which can still be used today. Earlier, in 1974, Dan Gapen came out with a paperback book (actually booklet-length) "Crappie--A For All Seasons." The "best waters" section is now out-dated but, otherwise, it too is still a good read.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the Fagerstrom book you found a large green paperback? Do you know if this book is still in print?

Post Thanks / Like

I also have Fagerstrom's "Catch More Bass", written in 1973. Despite all the 'advances' we've made in the 35 years since, the information still holds up. A few other good old books are "Practical Black Bass Fishing" by Bill Dance, "Fishing for Bass" by A. D. Livingston and "Tackle Craft" by C. Boyd Pheiffer.

Sometimes it's good to go back to the basics.
    Gary

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Pox,

That's the one Green Cover "Catch More Crappie". It's not being published anymore but you can find it.

Check out

Abe Books AbeBooks: New & Used Books, Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books
    Alibris Books Alibris: Used Books, Used Textbooks, Rare & Out-of-Print Books

Search for:
    Stan Fagerstrom
    Catch more Crappie

Both places are only showing two copies, one is $19.00 the other is $80

You could also check on Amazon, they might be cheaper.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Alibris is great. I've ordered a lot of old, classic books from them. Highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on Alibris and AbeBooks. I actually have an old copy of the book but it's autographed. Would like to get a reading copy before I smudge up and spill a cup of coffee on my old one.