Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Rod Choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Preferred Rod Choice?

What is your favorite rod for tossing jigs to Crappie? Interested in lenght and weight class, glass or graphite?

Thanks for the information.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ok, I'll bite .....

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmruger View Post
    What is your favorite rod for tossing jigs to Crappie? Interested in lenght and weight class, glass or graphite?
    First off, I go graphite on all my casting rods ... except two, and they're Carbon (and microlite action).

My favorite for simply casting a jig -- 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series spinning rod, by BnM Rods ... IM6 graphite (no line size or weight range noted on rod)

Second to that, and also (primarily) used for dock shooting a jig -- 5' prototype of the Cabela's ESP Series graphite spinning rod by Six Sense Rods Inc. (I field tested it, pre-production) (no line size or weight range on rod, as it's a prototype ... also, modulus rating is unknown)

As a side note, I'm currently using 4lb test Mr Crappie Super Hi-vis mono on both of these rods, and using 1/32 & 1/16oz baits.

Also worthy of note : the Sam Heaton Signature Series spinning rod has been replaced with the Sam Heaton Super Sensitive. The Cabela's ESP Series/Six Sense 5ft spinning rod appears to no longer be available (no longer listed on website).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Builders Take

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmruger View Post

Glass rods will cast a mile, but are less sensitive. Graphites are prefered because they transmit vibrations better to your hand, However what is a fact in casting distance is light # test lines , any line 4-6 lb. will cast great no matter the rod choice, if you want the best of both materials some new rods are coming this year that are composites of both, float rods are better suited to these, as far as jig casting take CP's choice & stay with the graphites, you will catch more fish on the light-bite days as well....good fishin!!!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

All my jig rods are 4.5 to 7.5 feet and rated for 2-6lb line. Most of the time, I use the shorter rods. Longer rods will increase your casting distance and protect light line better.

All my rods are graphite, and my favorites are Loomis.

Post Thanks / Like

6-6 1/2 ft does best for me. castin 1/32-3/32 oz jigs to 5-20ft of water has boated over 7,000 crappie for me so far this yr. must be doin sumthin rite.(UL rated for 1-6lb test)

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a couple of different rods for different situations. For docks I like Wally Marshall 4.5ft dock shooter. For jigging I have reciently started using Pro Angler 8ft, these rods are lite weight, very sensitive and have the most backbone that I've ever used. For slow trolling I use B-N-M, W-M, and P-A because I have them so I use them all for trolling. All are spooled with 6lb Clear-Blue Stren.
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

7foot G-Loomis 6 pound test can cast very weel 16th oz jig hard to find a more snesitive rod

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Wally Marshall Mighty Lites in the 7 ft. length. I tell people you can feel a Crappie breath on a jig!!Super Sensitive! I currently own 14 WM rods-Pro Series,Signature Series,Ect! Started out with 3 but my Clients liked them so much I"ve been changing them all out.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wally Marshall rods in any length, but would have to say the 8 ft. ones are my favorite. Long enough to cast a light jig in the wind, but not too long to deal with re-tying when you get broken off.
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, as I was considering purchasing a 10' from BNM. Now I think that I will just stick with my 7' graphite light action. Should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast