Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about a boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about a boat

I am considering purchasing a 15ft flat bottom aluminum boat. It has a 15hp Merc, fish finder and trolling motor. He is asking $700 for it. Has a trailer as well. My main concern is I am a HEAVY guy. I weigh in at 350lbs. Do I need to stay away from a flat bottom boat? Most aluminum boats I have looked at are not very deep. But I do not need anything fancier than a plain ol aluminum boat.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glen

Post Thanks / Like

Glen, the flat bottom is not the issue... it's freeboard... The amount of side above the water...with you in the boat. The mfg. weight recommendation (on the same plate as the horsepower recommendation) is what you want to check. My little Mean 16 has a passenger/gear limit of 606 lbs. I'm 250 and do fine... but have to watch the weight of my passenger(s), large minnow bucket.. and how much ice I carry. An aluminum boat will generally carry more weight than a glass boat of the same length and beam, simply because the boat itself weighs less (usually).

The boat you describe should be ok for you alone... With a partner, you'll have to consider his/her weight plus your cooler, minnow bucket... and the fifty pounds of crappie you'll want to bring home.

We had a drowning on Smithville a few years ago that was partly due to overloading compounded by lack of common sense. A man about your weight and his father had tied up... by the stern... to a bridge piling. A big storm came up and swamped the boat only yards from the dock.

Apologies for the long post but it's 3 am and there's no one awake to shut me up.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC
    I am considering purchasing a 15ft flat bottom aluminum boat. It has a 15hp Merc, fish finder and trolling motor. He is asking $700 for it. Has a trailer as well. My main concern is I am a HEAVY guy. I weigh in at 350lbs. Do I need to stay away from a flat bottom boat? Most aluminum boats I have looked at are not very deep. But I do not need anything fancier than a plain ol aluminum boat.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glen
    I would take bottom width into consideration... 48" would be best for a 15 footer but you don't see many...I would not consider any flat bottom less than 42" bottom width.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

DonG hit it on the head, the standard width for jons is about 42" to get a wider boat you might want to look at a river jon which are usually 48" to 52". I'm a pretty good sized guy myself, 225, and I fish a standard 14' jon in small water places with a buddy who is about 200 lbs. Pretty close to the limit. Check out BP's grizzly series of jon boats. I fish the larger lakes with a 14' 1986 Bomber scout bassboat with a 50 Yamaha. It will fish two people of any size comfortably ( or me and two grandkids). I bought this boat abou six years ago for 2500 bucks so keep looking and you will find what you need for the right price. Don't sacrifice safety for price.

Post Thanks / Like

I am kind of dissapointed in my boats weight capabilities. When two people are in the boat, it sits very low in the back. Whichever side the heavier person is on, sometimes it leans badly to that side. It doesnt take turns very well either because of the leaning. Maybe I got too big of a motor for it, shame on me. Other than that, it is a good boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 14/48 alumnacraft boat with a 20 horsepower mercury. I fished out of this boat for several years before moving up to a larger boat. The wide bottom made this boat very stable on the water. I weigh 250 and would not have hesitated to take someone your size out with me. If the boat your looking at is only 36" on the bottom, I'd pass. The boat would be very unstable for you.

Post Thanks / Like

For 700 bucks unless its 36 wide or less I would jump on it and give it a try. The main thing I think you need to consider is were are you fishing. If you are fishing some shallow narrow oxbow then the boat will be fine. If you are running big water where a storm could easily swamp you well stear clear of that boat. But I just dont see how you can go wrong with that set up for that price even if the boat doesent workout for you. Call me if it doesent workout and I will buy it for that price and I dont even need a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' aluminum jon boat for fishing and hunting. It is considered xtra wide and xtra deep. I can stand on the very nose of the boat and not even teater. If the boat you are looking at is similar then you are getting a great deal. My boat has a coast guard bow, but my buddies has a flat bottom and the only differance is his is a little rougher to ride in - in rough water. Even if you don't buy it for fishing, you should consider it for a trade in. I believe you could get more than 700 for trade in. You could always keep all the goodies that are included for anouther boat. Man I would jump all over the deal.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

The water I will be fishing is Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma. Now dont get excited I live on the back part of the lake near the dam. I would NEVER take an aluminum boat out in the main part of this lake. I will fish the coves and stuff near my house. I will use it for crappie and catfishing. As well as setting some jugs.

I was thinking the same thing about the price. I could buy this one and try it out and if its to dangerous. I could strip it down of all its goodies and buy a new aluminum that would fit my needs better and transfer everything over.

Thanks again for the quick replies. I am going to look at it this weekend. I will let you know what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 15/42 war eagle with a 25 merc. During duck season it will scare you what all goes in that boat and to where. I'm topping the scales at 250# (325 canadian I think) and will put another person, dog, 6-8 dozen decoys, poke boat, and guns in the boat and run 15 miles. The boat is stable and have never been scared of running in it.

I will always wear a pfd at night and 80% of the time during the day. The boat will run 26mph (gps) with me another guy, bait well, cooler and ice, 3 deep cycle batteries, and all the rest of the junk. Its tight if you scatter everything out, but if you organize it, you have plenty of room.
    If I was better I'd be twins

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast